Cleaning Solution Question

Yakety_Yak

Cleaning Solution Question

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Recently after I have had my VHF radio for years now did I come across something that I had not seen before. It looks like after a trip I had taken that my radio has what appears to be saltwater residue on it. At first, I tried to remove the stain with soap and water but that didn't work. Next, I tried CLR. I thought for sure that CLR would do the trick but I was wrong. The stain isn't doing anything to the radio other than making it look grey instead of black but I would like to try and remove it if possible. Does anyone have any solutions on how I can remove this?
Blue Devil 7

Re: Cleaning Solution Question

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

If the soapy water didn't remove it, it might not be a residue. Are you sure it isn't actually the plastic degrading or fading from salt and sun exposure? Try something like and armor all, back to black, or 303 in a small test area and see if that brings the color back. The only downside to a solution like that is that it might make the radio slippery.
Yakety_Yak

Re: Cleaning Solution Question

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:If the soapy water didn't remove it, it might not be a residue. Are you sure it isn't actually the plastic degrading or fading from salt and sun exposure? Try something like and armor all, back to black, or 303 in a small test area and see if that brings the color back. The only downside to a solution like that is that it might make the radio slippery.

A friend I know has the same radio as I do. His is brand new and mine is old (as in about a year old). His radio has the same residue that mine does but just after one use. I don't believe this is something due to plastic degrading/fading. I'll look into the other items you mentioned Blue Devil 7. I'm open to suggestions at this point and will try anything. The discoloring isn't messing with the functionality of the radio. It actually gives it somewhat of a splash color of grey/white on top of the black. Who knows, it might be a new trend. lol