Hurricane Harvey

Longliner

Hurricane Harvey

Post by Longliner »

Does this hurricane got anyone down south worried? Fox news has it pinned at 115 mph winds when it hits land. I'm in the Austin area so no worries here. Hope everyone fairs well
Kirk B.

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by Kirk B. »

Sounds like a prize fighter, don't it?
Hurricane Harvey.
Kinda has a ring to it.

Kirk B.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

I am in Austin too. But I know several people down in Corpus that are planning on staying. I think they will be fine but just hope they don't have much property damage.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Stay safe.
We will pray for everyone
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Fishtolive wrote:Stay safe.
We will pray for everyone

Best wishes to all on the coast.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Tod Johnson and his wife live on the island and there's a mandatory evacuation. Storm surge is predicted four feet above their home's slab. I sure hope the forecast is wrong.

We're boarded up and secure, planning to ride it out... but we will re-evaluate tomorrow morning while there is still time to get out if we choose to do that. The predictions on this thing keep getting worse... not enjoying this process so far.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am going fishing Saturday to SLP. They promise a bit of rain and wind in low double digits, but it is ok. Not sure about pfd though -- I've heard that pass can be dangerous. I'll probably take it, just in case.... for protection
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I've been watching Harvey pretty closely. Still seems be on the track to go in just above Corpus. It would be even better if it ducked in well below Corpus Christi, but that doesn't seem very likely. One model, on Intellicast, had it moving west some after going in. That would be a relief for some of the middle and upper coast cities especially if it kept moving into the brush county of South Texas and points west.

So far, it looks like most of the rain, it's raining pretty hard right now in Lake Jackson, has been up in our general area and not so much to the south. We just have to hope the eye moves across one of the least populated areas and then gets steered out of here to the west. That's probably too much to hope for.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Crusader wrote:I am going fishing Saturday to SLP. They promise a bit of rain and wind in low double digits, but it is ok. Not sure about pfd though -- I've heard that pass can be dangerous. I'll probably take it, just in case.... for protection
richard
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Batten down the hatches mates. Our prayers are with you all.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Looks like the entire coast between Corpus and Cameron La is in for a thrashing. Y'all be careful and think with the big head. (All except Crusader. We'll read about you in the funny papers, Bud. )

Kirk B.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

:lol:
Speck Tackler

Post by Speck Tackler »

Just made Cat 3. I think the scariest part will be if it stalls out once it gets on shore.

y'all hang in there. It is going to be a wet one.
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

Riding it out at work. Hope everyone is safe.

Kwikdraw

Post by Kwikdraw »

God Bless anyone in the bad stuff !! From there but left yesterday, let us know if you need things from the outside !

KD
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I think most in Corpus escaped major damage. The bait stands on the island got thrashed, but not as bad as Port A, Aransas Pass and Rockport. Those little towns got crushed.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Glad to hear all in Corpus did well. Praying for all that are effected.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Our place is on royal sands, which is north of MP rig launch about a mile. Second hand word is we didn't get much damage. Going north, closer to where the wall was, the damage appears significantly worse. We lucked out with a windward position. If we had been on the other side of the eye, I expect the surge would have been considerably worse. We don't hear much about Surfside and that area but I would expect they got more wave and surge damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

I pray every one was safe. We are a great community and I think it is great that a hobby, (kayak fishing) has such a bond with all of us to help and support each other as we all care for one another and our families and neighbors. I am honored to be part of such a great group of people. Stand proud my extended family together we are stronger than anyone could imagine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Never let a crisis go to waste, that seems to be the norm down south. Alot of opportunist waiting to take your $$.
Social media is helping but I heard of people buying up pallets of bottled water and selling a case for $50 and now motels and hotels are being busted for price gouging. Insane!
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Have you heard from Tod and his family? Are they safe?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Re: RE: Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by jnd1959 »

Longliner wrote:Never let a crisis go to waste, that seems to be the norm down south. Alot of opportunist waiting to take your $$.
Social media is helping but I heard of people buying up pallets of bottled water and selling a case for $50 and now motels and hotels are being busted for price gouging. Insane!
These stories arise every time there is a disaster. Even though it is hard to explain, there is a place for extreme price fluctuation during a disaster. The short answer is it forces people to prioritize their purchases. If bottled water is regularly $4 a case and the price goes to $10, a person might not buy all they can. They will allocate what they need to water. This does two things, first, the price increase triggers suppliers to move more goods to the affected area and second, rations inventory for those who really need it. Generators are a prime example. If sellers were able to double the price of generators, they would maintain a higher inventory in anticipation of bigger profits. You can get rid of higher prices or shortages but you can't get rid of both. Even though I know this, I still get miffed at what some will do. It's human nature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk