Suggestions on best brand new btb kayak under $400

Longliner

Suggestions on best brand new btb kayak under $400

Post by Longliner »

I'm looking to spend no more than $400 and it needs to be new. I'm buying it for my kid for his bday he weighs around #200 any suggestions would help thx.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Suggestions on best brand new btb kayak under $400

Post by MobyYack »

You probably won't find a new btb kayak for that price in my opinion. A used pescador will run you around 500, and that's a common low end btb kayak. I have seen an experienced yakker in a pelican kayak, but I stress the experienced part . I wouldn't put a rookie in it.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Good Lord does your wife know you posted this?? Why don't you take a few moments to think about this and repost your request. Seriously we are trying to help you.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Perception Pascador 14, aka wilderness tarpon 2006, they were 400 bucks at academy.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Karyuu wrote:Perception Pascador 14, aka wilderness tarpon 2006, they were 400 bucks at academy.
That one would work I'll check er out. Thx
Last edited by Longliner on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

LOOKN4REDS wrote:Good Lord does your wife know you posted this?? Why don't you take a few moments to think about this and repost your request. Seriously we are trying to help you.
Oooooook good buddy
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Lookin4reds might not have been too polite but he does have your best interest in mind. BTB is serious business and you don't want to be out there in a cheap yak. I owned a Pescador 12' that I used for the lakes. I would not recommend it for BTB. If you can spend a little more, maybe $600, get yourself a good used Jackson Cuda or equivalent.
jakec1

Post by jakec1 »

Agreed - you would get more for your money buying used. But being a gift - I understand the desire to buy new.

On that note, I agree with Karyuu about the pescador 14 being a descent option. Those Pescador 14 are really well made yaks, that are fast and very capable offshore yaks though not the stablest in the world.

They can be had for $400 but only around black Friday. All other times I have seen them go for regular price which I think is about $600.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

jakec1 wrote:Agreed - you would get more for your money buying used. But being a gift - I understand the desire to buy new.

On that note, I agree with Karyuu about the pescador 14 being a descent option. Those Pescador 14 are really well made yaks, that are fast and very capable offshore yaks though not the stablest in the world.

They can be had for $400 but only around black Friday. All other times I have seen them go for regular price which I think is about $600.
It's got to be better than what he has now and at 14' that's gonna be nice. I use the WS ride 135 and it's not the most stable with the high seat imo but it certainly gets the job done. Thx
stoli

Post by stoli »

Find a good used hobie outback .... paddling is for the dogs but your not gonna find any kayak for 400$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

stoli wrote:Find a good used hobie outback .... paddling is for the dogs but your not gonna find any kayak for 400$

We're tough we can handle paddling the yaks. As for dogs we're like Pitbulls don't compare us to Poodle peddalars please!!!
stoli

Post by stoli »

Lol .... I'll be a poodle all day long .... I used to have a cobra fish -n-dive a real tank very stable great for BTB fishing , I got caught by a bad north wind one day prob 25-30 ... current was bad and trying to paddle and keep the yak straight coming in was brutal.... not mention if u stopped paddling u would get pushed out further at one point I anchored to take a break .... anyways my buddy had a hobie outback and came back to shore like it was nothing ..... sold my cobra bought an outback and wouldn't ever own another paddle kayak ... that's just my opinion there's lots of guys that have paddle kayaks but I would definitely recommend a rudder if u do get a paddle kayak

Longliner

Post by Longliner »

We'll get him rudder for sure and a good light weight paddle too.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

stoli wrote:Find a good used hobie outback .... paddling is for the dogs but your not gonna find any kayak for 400$

the big dogs all day
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Before I upgraded I used a perception Pescador 12' for years going BTB and still use it on occasions. Even took it 6 miles out in Louisiana in flat conditions. But...... It's weight rating is exaggerated and if your son is 200 lbs as I am, his bottom will be setting in some water and so will his feet. The water WILL come up through the scupper holes and stay there in a pool. The more gear and or fish you load on it and the worse things will get. You don't want the kid turned off to BTB right off the bat, so save a few more bucks and at least, very least, get the 14' or pick up a used BTB starter off of Craigslist. There are plenty of impulse buyers out there that have their kayaks up for sale or guys that have upgraded and the wife wants the extra one gone.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Before I upgraded I used a perception Pescador 12' for years going BTB and still use it on occasions. Even took it 6 miles out in Louisiana in flat conditions. But...... It's weight rating is exaggerated and if your son is 200 lbs as I am, his bottom will be setting in some water and so will his feet. The water WILL come up through the scupper holes and stay there in a pool. The more gear and or fish you load on it and the worse things will get. You don't want the kid turned off to BTB right off the bat, so save a few more bucks and at least, very least, get the 14' or pick up a used BTB starter off of Craigslist. There are plenty of impulse buyers out there that have their kayaks up for sale or guys that have upgraded and the wife wants the extra one gone.
I'll remember that for sure appreciate it.
I noticed you are out of Norman, OK have you ever fished at Sardis lake? I've been wanting to try it out.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I personally have not, though my parents have. We used to live just outside McGee Creek State Park in southeastern Oklahoma and that was the primary lake that we fish. Beautiful lake. I now live on the north side of Thunderbird lake in Norman, which is nice also, if you squint your eyes nearly closed at dusk.