Smacked to the Max, almost

earthshipman

Smacked to the Max, almost

Post by earthshipman »

For years I have dreamed of catching my limit (15) of Spanish Mackerel (Smack) and posting on TKF. Well, I came close yesterday (Sunday, August 20th, 2017), I caught 11 Smack.
IMG_1991.JPG

The thing is, I lost 6 or 7 more, and I know why. When the bite is on and things are going crazy you hardly have time to think. You don't know how much longer it will last and you want to take full opportunity of the feeding frenzy. But when it is all over you have time to look back to see what you did right, and what you did wrong. I will try to share that with you now.

I lost 3 Smack right near my yak when they took hard turns and got parallel to the fishing line. I am pretty sure they cut the lines with their tails. I was fishing with wire leaders, but the leaders were only about 15 inches long. My 14 pound monofilament was safe from the teeth of the Smack, but still exposed to the tails. That would have brought my tally to 14 Smack. I lost another one because I had my kayak paddle in the way of my fishing line. My paddle has a notch in the fin that is to be used to unhook your lure when it gets snagged. My line got caught in this notch and snapped. Could have made my limit by correcting these 2 issues. Another one got caught in the rudder. This is hard to avoid, just have to horse them away before they get close. I lost one or two more at a distance. I made a long cast, hooked up, and got cut off. I think a second fish possibly cut the line. I tried casting slightly to the sides of the feeding frenzy instead of right through it still got hookups without getting cut off.

For now on my wire leaders will be at least 30 inches. This will make it a little harder to cast but I think it will be worth it. If I ever get another opportunity like yesterday hopefully I can reach the limit, wish me luck.

I haven't looked at my video yet. If something looks good I will post it.
Papa33

Re: Smacked to the Max, almost

Post by Papa33 »

Where was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

By some oil rigs near Corpus
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am pretty sure they cut the lines with their tails.
Highly doubt that... More likely another smack attacked your swivel. Try making your wire leader shorter -- like 2".
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Yea that's what I figured. Even though you didn't get your limit that's way more than most have ever caught. Congrats on the awesome trip. I've never caught that many smacks but I understand the feeling of trying to catch as many as you can while they are in a frenzy

MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

There were smacks at the South jetty in Galveston recently. Rare. Nice haul

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Crusader wrote:
Highly doubt that... More likely another smack attacked your swivel. Try making your wire leader shorter -- like 2".
Nope. No way. The swivel is at the spoon. I tie wire directly to monofilament. This happened 3 times within 10 feet of the yak, no other Smack around.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Papa33 wrote:Yea that's what I figured. Even though you didn't get your limit that's way more than most have ever caught. Congrats on the awesome trip. I've never caught that many smacks but I understand the feeling of trying to catch as many as you can while they are in a frenzy

Thanks! It is a personal record for me, took me 7 years of BTB fishing to do it.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

earthshipman wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Nope. No way. The swivel is at the spoon. I tie wire directly to monofilament. This happened 3 times within 10 feet of the yak, no other Smack around.
In this case your knot probably failed -- wire leader probably cut through softer mono... I can't believe smacks are capable of cutting line with their tails.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Nice haul, Ken! I'd love to get into the thick of some smacks - some good eating!
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Crusader wrote:
earthshipman wrote:
Crusader wrote:
In this case your knot probably failed -- wire leader probably cut through softer mono... I can't believe smacks are capable of cutting line with their tails.
I would agree that the wire to mono knot is probably the weak link. But I had my drag set such that these fish were pulling a lot of drag and the line wouldn't break. I will be interested to hear what others have to say about fish tails on mono.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Volkswatson wrote:Nice haul, Ken! I'd love to get into the thick of some smacks - some good eating!
Thanks Ben! Wish you lived close by so I could give some to you and your family.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Congratulations on the limit Sir! Smacks are good little fighting fish! Love em! Thanks for sharing!