A little help needed

Bassboy1992

A little help needed

Post by Bassboy1992 »

Alright guys,

I'm here in Florida doing some kayak fishing. The surf is a little rougher than I anticipated, but that's alright. I've gone out three times now, and had ZERO luck when it comes to kings/bigger fish. I'm having a lot of fun catching smaller species, and beautiful little reef fish... but I'd like to get something impressive in the kayak.

I'm trolling with a yo-zuri 3D minnow deep diver. I've been unable to catch the cigar minnows, which is usually easy. Also had trouble getting the blue runners to hit my sibiki. Do you guys ever troll with sand perch? I've never caught them in Texas, but they're this small little grouper looking fish. Apparently they're great bait, and they live forever. I just don't know how natural it would be to troll a bottom dwelling fish up off the bottom.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I realize I'm in Florida, and this is a Texas fishing forum. It's possible the water is a little murkier than usual because of the rain, but you'd think that wouldn't be an issue. There's probably about 8 foot visibility right now (which to me is clear).

Should I get some ribbon fish, or frozen cigar minnows?

Other than that, I'm having a blast. I'm out of the Texas heat, catching these bizarre looking fish, and getting some good footage on my go-pro. Hopefully I can land a King tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Chase
jnd1959

Re: A little help needed

Post by jnd1959 »

Chase,

I would try frozen cigar minnows if the lures are not working. I think I remember the live bait you are talking about. If so, I don't know how well they will troll or if they will just spin. You may try freelining them and see what happens.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Try trolling spoons tipped with fish attractant material or cut bait strips

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Live bait if u can. I don't know the 3Ds personally. But, their Crystal minnows get bit. I'd also try some fresh dead cut if u can't live bait. U can get some fresh live from the piers to save some $. Cigars do work well on the Emerald coast IMO.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you are targeting Kings use ribbon fish. It's like candy to king fish. Ling like them also. Many YouTube videos on how to make a king fish rig. Use wire, 2 trebles, and 1 "J" hook with some flash and at least 1/2 oz sliding weight to get it down while trolling.
I catch kings and ling trolling 1-2 mph around oil rigs in Corpus. Many videos on fishing the rigs as well. Watch them and get some good instruction on how people do it here in Texas. Glen Maddon, "Prof. Salt" has some really good videos on catching these bad boys. He posts in this forum all the time. Look him up.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

You can use ribbon fish, and the kings will hit that but not as likely. I would recommend cigar minnows (match the hatch concept). Hopefully you can pull up a blue runner while using the sabiki as that is candy to any fish out there. I've fished Florida from a kayak before and the things I am mentioning have been my experience and things I have asked in years passed by experienced kayak anglers I know in Florida.

I am curious on where you are using your sabiki at. When I fished the Navarre area, I would sabiki not far past the surf. When you can't see bait popping the water, it definitely helps to have a fish finder. Also, because the water is so clear most of the time you can see the bait down in the water. Drop your sabiki just past day break. With any luck, you should be able to find blue runners and such for bait.

Another important matter to consider. Are you using a wire or floro leader? Floro will definitely get other species, such as mahi and more. When you use the wire leader, sail fish, black fin tuna, mahi, etc. will not hit it as much. Kings will definitely hit the wire leader. The water is extremely clear there in Navarre most of the time and floro is key. I will say this much - You definitely open the door to more species with floro but there will be a potential to more break-offs. So, you have to ask yourself. Do you go with wire and target less with less break-offs or go with floro and open the door to more species to be caught but with a larger percentage of break-offs. Many of the anglers in Florida will do the floro option. With that being said, that is why anglers use a larger lb floro as it makes it harder for fish to break the line.

I personally, when fishing in Florida will do the floro option. I make plenty of leaders so if I have break-offs, I have others to put on. When making my floro leaders, here's how I do it:

1) I use a #8 Spro swivel and tie floro line to the swivel (I use a regular clinch knot for this). The line I use is 50 lb Yo-Zuri pink floro line.
2) Leave around 3 - 4 ft of floro line before you get to the J hook.
3) Next, tie a loop knot (a bowline knot will work as well but I prefer a loop knot) to the J hook.
4) Take 80 lb malin wire and run one end through the J hook without crossing the floro line and tie a haywire twist (I use a Ultra Point Mustad 4/O J hook).
5) Finally, approximately 8" down from the J hook on the wire side, do a haywire twist to a treble hook (I use a VMC #4 treble hook 4x strong). If you don't like using that size treble hook, you can use a #2.

If this seems confusing, check out the video on Prof. Salt's YouTube channel on how to make king fish leaders. It's the same thing except the wire leader is longer and made of floro and there is not a second treble hook because you are not using ribbon fish. I hope this helps, tight lines!! :)
bing

Post by bing »

i'd usually start out non wire.
if i get bit off once or twice, i'll put on wires.
blue runners are easier to catch in shallow water with trout jigs tip with a piece of shrimp. i dont use sibiki on yaks .. too many hooks. lastly, a small chum bag of cut fish does wonders when trolling slow

post up pics
Endo

Post by Endo »

Are you fishing any kind of structure...bottom or otherwise? Or are you just randomly trolling offshore?

Fishing around bottom structure or rigs will increase your chances drastically. It can be tough to find fish randomly paddling in the ocean.

When I used to fish in Florida I chased bait schools and predators were generally close at hand. That was a long time ago, before modern day fish finders or even sit on top kayaks.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am not an expert on kings, but those few I caught wanted my lure to move very fast -- they simply refused to bite it if it was too slow. I saw them busting bait, so I knew they were in the area.

Try casting your deep diving crankbait and retrieving it very fast, if you believe they are in the area... Maybe you are trolling them too slow.