Dirty Pelican, Saturday, 8-12-17 (REPORT)

Yakety_Yak

Dirty Pelican, Saturday, 8-12-17 (REPORT)

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I know it's last minute but when the wife gave me the okay to go fishing about 30 minutes ago, I jumped on it. I'm fishing DP tomorrow for bull reds and sharks. I will be at Sea Pony at 6:00 am (that's when they open). From there, I am heading to DP to set up the yak and launch. Anyone interested in tomorrow?

PS: Rain forecast tomorrow is 10%. Surf is 1 ft and swells are 1.3 ft every 4 secs. Winds will average throughout the day at 9 mph. Looks pretty good and those winds will keep the heat in check. Anyone interested? Since it's last minute if you have any questions, don't hesitate to post on here or call me. 832-588-7091 Cya at Sea Pony in Winnie, TX in the morning for anyone going. :)

PS: See my post on this thread after this initial one. Since this run for Wednesday was a bust, Saturday is the new projected date.
Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Dirty Pelican, Wednesday, 8-9-17 (Sharks & Bull Reds)

Post by Drifting Yak »

Just talked to Blake and he's postponing this trip. He made the trek over to DP this morning and it's storming. He's considering a trip tomorrow morning and said he would post up when he get's home.
See ya!
Yakety_Yak

Re: Dirty Pelican, Wednesday, 8-9-17 (Sharks & Bull Reds)

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Thanks Drifting Yak. I was going to do this trip on Thursday since today was a wash but LOOKING4REDS said that he might be interested in going out on Saturday depending on weather. Conditions are good for that day. We are going to talk on Friday and determine if the trip is worth making for Saturday. I'll post up once we figure out what we are going to do.
lahai1dj

Re: Dirty Pelican, Saturday, 8-12-17 (Sharks & Bull Reds)

Post by lahai1dj »

Let me know what you decide to do. I might be interested in joining you Saturday. Not the best for my schedule but I might be able to swing it.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

IM HEADED TO THE SOUTH JETTY SATURDAY IF YOURE INTERESTD IN HAVING A BACKUP PLAN
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

MobyYack wrote:IM HEADED TO THE SOUTH JETTY SATURDAY IF YOURE INTERESTD IN HAVING A BACKUP PLAN
where is that area? looking for new location to fish. thanks
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

East beach/RA Appfel park

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Galveston, correct?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

tastywavescoolbuzz.... You are correct. East beach/Appfel park is Galveston.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

LOOKN4REDS, my son, and I are heading out to DP Saturday morning. It has been confirmed today. If interested or have questions, feel free to post on here or call me. 832-588-7091 For anyone that wants to hit up the sharks/bull reds, cya in the morning. For any of you guys that have a current map saved on their computer that can post on here for a reference to the DP, please post and thanks for doing it.
Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

A few people called today about this trip. We are meeting at Sea Pony in Winnie, TX. It's a bait shop. We are meeting there at 6:00 am to get bait and from there we can all caravan down to the DP. Cya in the morning. :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Well guys, we went to the beach and then came home. lol

Rick had all the good stuff for shark/bull red fishing as usual. Sea Pony always has what ya need to get on the water and fish. The forecast for the water was predicted for 1 ft surf/swells. It was nothing of the sort. LOOKN4REDS and I rode together and we met a new guy at Sea Pony. When we got to DP, the surf was at least 3 ft and it was white capping far out. Both LOOKN4REDS and I didn't want to send a new guy out in this stuff and for him to have a bad taste on BTB so we called it a day and headed back to Houston.

Winds were very reasonable. A friend called and said he was west of Rollover and there was some yakers that were going to go BTB. I was told that the surf/swells were better over there. This info was given to me after I was almost back in Houston. For those of you that are going out tomorrow - if you get out there and the conditions are not what it should be and you want to fish, you may want to check west of Rollover to see if the conditions are better that way. Tight lines!
Cayuco

Re: Dirty Pelican, Saturday, 8-12-17 (REPORT)

Post by Cayuco »

Blake, it turned out decent today but you made the right call for the beginner. Waves were about half the size as HI & DP about 1/4 mile west of rollover pass. A nice shark broke my line soon after I anchored about 1/2 mile out where pelicans were diving and mullets were jumping. After that I got 5 bull reds up to 40" on fresh mullet, about one every 20 mins. Didn't see any more sharks but overall a good day.
As you mentioned it is worth checking the conditions west of rollover if it is rough in HI, just keep in mind that a $10 yearly beach permit is required there.
Tight lines
DanS

Post by DanS »

Even though we didn't get to fish, I was still grateful for the willingness of Yakety_Yak and LOOKN4REDS to let a newbie tag along. They gave me a lot of good tips on my set up and even hooked me up with some sweet shark leaders. I’m continuously impressed by the amount of knowledge on this sight and the willingness you all have to share it.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

Last time the surf was too rough we just paid the$5 and fished at roll over

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk