8/5 Sabine BTB

YakMack

8/5 Sabine BTB

Post by YakMack »

Ice Cream. Seas 1 to 2 feet. Winds up to 5 knots.

Wanted to head to Matagorda or MP but 2 to 3 and 2 to 4 feet wasn't feelin' it. Sabine always seems to be a foot or two calmer than Matty or Corpus lately.

From shore to 2 miles out, fish everywhere. Saw bait fish all in the surf (or what one would call the surf since it was so calm) and about 200 yards out I started hearing and seeing top water pops from fish. I sent some top waters out and started pulling in some fat hardheads. After the 3rd one, I continued further out.

About a mile out, I decided to send some spanish sardines (frozen) out on a king fish rig. Before I could close the bail, Mr. shark took off with it. Pulled him in and was able to shake him loose without damaging my kingfish rig.

About 2 miles out, I found my spots. Normally, the fish finder shows 25 ft. It was showing 15 feet because the fish were 10 ft thick! I tried all my vertical jigs and nothing. So, I thought they were bait fish so I put on a sabiki. They weren't bait fish, they were trout - 10 foot thick schools. Pulled in one after the other, some times 2 at at time on my sabikis. Most of them around 14 inches.

I moved around after hearing some smack action on the top and decided to throw a topwater. Mr. shark liked those top waters and came crashing out of the water after it! Scared the heck outta me. Was a wild time to say the least. After 5 shark, 15 plus trout and a Smack, I decided to head back in. Of course, on the way back in, I kept seeing bait ball action so I cast everything I could. After telling myself I'm done and to keep paddling, I had to throw another dead sardine in hopes of something.... Well, the Jack took it and took off! I've always thrown them back, but I decided to keep it to try it for dinner.
Well, with some salmon rub, it was quite delicious. Had a more of a beefy texture than some trout or redfish, but it was quite good.
Attachments
IMG_6815.jpg
IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6810.jpg
IMG_6808.JPG
YakMack

Re: 8/5 Sabine BTB

Post by YakMack »

MOre Pics.
Attachments
IMG_6812.JPG
IMG_6817.jpg
IMG_6816.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report and pics! Thanks for posting and sharing! Glad you got on top of a bunch of good fishing.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great report. Sabine has been a solid producer for a while. Neat to see specs lined up like that.

Way to go!

WM
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
fpatino

Post by fpatino »

I want to fish here, how and where did you launch?!
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Past Sea Rim State Park - Drive down the beach. Park. Launch. Catch.