Matagorda rigs 7/15

Mulligan

Matagorda rigs 7/15

Post by Mulligan »

It's a late post but a post. Took off for vacation after this trip so didn't have too much time to post.

Fished the 2 mile rigs off Matagorda beach. Conditions were perfect....except for the scattered storms. We managed to miss the rain till the end of the day and it was beautiful to be cooled down where there was 0 wind! Luckily it was cloudy majority of the day so it was a good day.

Lost several hookups as my leaders got cut. I made leaders using 50# mono thinking it'll hold up. I was wrong. These kings/smacks cut off all 4-6 of my lures. Managed to catch 2 smacks. Bite was on fire!

There was a rolling wave and current was moving pretty good out on the rig but very comfortable and a easy pedal to/from launch.

https://youtu.be/2riaYUCFt9I
[youtube]http://youtu.be/2riaYUCFt9I
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Matagorda rigs 7/15

Post by kickingback »

Really cool video and report! Well done!

Yeah I make all my rigs from 60 lb and 80 lb wire to prevent break offs.

I have never fished that area yet. Where do you launch from exactly?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Once you get on the beach from Beach Rd, head east approx 5-6 miles. You'll see the rig out in the water about the 4th mile. Just be careful as the sand can get pretty soft in certain parts. My friend's truck wasn't a 4x4 but made it. But when he moved it up near the dunes after unloading the yaks, he got stuck. We dug it out and I could've gotten him out since I had 4x4, but he managed to get himself loose after some digging.

There were tons of Jacks feeding about 0.25-0.5 miles out or so. As you can see from the video, friend caught that gigantic Jack and battled it for about 30-40 min.

Bite was on starting about 3/4 the way to the rig. Those smacks were really aggressive. I even had dead croaker from previous trip and mullet I cast netted that AM and they hit all of that....breaking my leaders off of course!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks man. I went to The Mayan rigs in Corpus on Monday and the bite was on at the big rig. Yaks and boats everywhere. I hung into 5 kings myself and a bunch of snapper on bottom. It was a CPR day for me and was fun for the 6 hours I was out.
I don't have a 4x4 so I may have to wait till after a rain to harden the sand a bit to check it out. Thanks and glad ya'll got unstuck!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Mulligan..... It looks like you had a fun trip. Way to avoid the weather. At least the rain you had was a rain storm and not a thunderstorm. BTW.... where ya from? Cya on the water sometime. :)
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Kickinback - yeah I wish I can fish the MP...it's a bit further drive so Matagorda works out better when you only have a day of fishing. You can make it without a 4x4, but just make sure your buddy has one! I'll be fishing the MP area on 8/26 for the second part of the BWKC! You better believe I'll have nothing but steel leaders for the tourney!

Yakety_yak - I'm in Houston. Yeah we knew the storms would be lingering that day and we got lucky. But even if it was pouring rain we would've launched. We were gonna get wet anyways right!? Haha

I tried surfside/Freeport but I've never had much luck there. I'd follow my buddy out to the Sabine area and Sea Rim (pretty good catching there) but that's quite a drive as well. I realized Matagorda isn't that much farther from SS so I'll be heading out there more for my BTB trips.

See y'all out on the water sometime!
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Thanks for the report and vid. Looks like you had fun, even with the cut-offs. That can be really frustrating. Hope to get back out there soon!
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Need ya some better leaders bro. Lost a lot of lures when 1st started too. Sharks don't even get em now ;-) learned more each outing. Keep them videos coming. i believe u got tha nack ;)
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great video. Well done

I could feel the frustration of leaders breaking.

Love Matagorda rig. Great place to fish.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I actually make king leaders using the steel leaders, but I got lazy and made them with the heavy mono hoping it'll hold. It didn't. Lesson learned!