Almost ready, one or two more things

Bassboy1992

Almost ready, one or two more things

Post by Bassboy1992 »

I'm headed to Florida next week. I posted a thread below asking about rigging and whatnot. But now I've just got a couple questions about actually fishing.

How far behind the kayak do y'all troll your lures? I got a yo-zuri 3D glass minnow in Bonita pattern. The thing is like 10" long. How far back should I have it? I've had kings hit me right at the back of the kayak before, but how far back is ideal for more strikes?

Do y'all ever just toss on a piece of cutbait or squid and put a big old 8 ounce weight on it, and keep it near the bottom as y'all troll around? I figure it can't hurt, and may produce some interesting fish. I'm more of a quantity guy. The quality comes eventually.

The surf report for Panama City Beach is reading "Flat, no incoming swell" for next week. So that will be pretty neat. Unfortunately there will be scattered T-storms. I read something about putting jumper cables on your rod and hanging the other end in the water to "redirect" the lightning.

I got a go-pro like camera for $70. Water proof and everything! I'll be sure to give y'all a report when I get back to Texas. (The jumper cables thing was a joke. Don't worry, I won't do anything TOO stupid)

- Chase
Fishtolive

Re: Almost ready, one or two more things

Post by Fishtolive »

I normally trolled two rods. One about 30'. And second one about 45-50' behind the kayak.
I don't drag bottom fishing while trolling. It might hang up with bottom structure.
Good luck and please let us know it works over there.
Bassboy1992

Post by Bassboy1992 »

I don't have a depth finder on my kayak, so if I snag up on structure maybe I'll anchor up there and fish for reef species, hah!

Golly, only 30 - 50' behind the kayak? That's dang close. Especially when I've got 400 yards of line on my rod. I reckon the more line I let out, the deeper my lure will dive.

Anyone ever troll for tuna? I hear in Florida they come into shore really close this time of year. I was just going to catch and release, but if I land myself a nice little tuna I may have to keep him.

- Chase
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Good luck. I don't remember blackfin being that close to the beach but if conditions are right maybe. Where do you plan to launch from?

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk