Cold water upwelling

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Cold water upwelling

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddled to the far Bob Hall rigs today, and as soon as I was past the surf the water cooled way down ...like 75 degrees. Shockingly cold. Clarity at the rigs was around 40 feet, and the kings stayed deep but they were hungry. Jigging brought a few surprises, including more black drum and a big sheepshead. For a Monday it was crowded, with up to twelve powerboats at once on the rigs. They were well behaved, and fishing together was pleasant. On the way in I found a school of big, aggressive jacks. Hooked one and as I was fighting the fish, I saw hundreds of others below the kayak, so I wedged the first rod under a leg and grabbed the other rod. Tossed a Halco and ripped/reeled three times before the explosion and fish #2 was hooked up. As I worked them in one by one, a shark showed up and stole one of the jacks. Got the other aboard and within another half mile I found the Spanish schools. Lost three but caught two.

Missed a big meeting at work that I mistakenly thought was scheduled for Tuesday, so I may be in the dog house this week with the dean and college Provost. We'll see. Oh well, it was a fantastic day on the water and a great workout.
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: Cold water upwelling

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Heck, I'd miss a meeting for a trip like that. Ha!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Sounds like a good time to me!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Great read Glenn!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The dean stopped by the office to brief me on the meeting I missed yesterday, and she said that I was all good because the Provost likes me, and that she would want a report of the fishing. Done! :D
Endo

Post by Endo »

Down PINS, the water was still 80 degrees the day before on Sunday.

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

It sounds like you had a great day on the water! The water was cooler for us on Sunday out at BHP.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Glad to see they are still biting. Naturally the week after I'm there. Instead of "you should have been here last week" its "you should have been here next week." Good job and glad your not in the doghouse with the provost. I've been in the doghouse with the provost but I was younger and I didn't do it. At least I'm pretty sure I didn't do it...maybe.

I was also in the doghouse with soccer tournaments when my son was younger. Who plans soccer tournaments on opening day of deer season? I am still in Texas, right?

Someone asked the question on another forum about tar balls and cold water. Is there a correlation?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

jnd1959 wrote:I was also in the doghouse with soccer tournaments when my son was younger. Who plans soccer tournaments on opening day of deer season? I am still in Texas, right?

Someone asked the question on another forum about tar balls and cold water. Is there a correlation?
Haha, I can relate to the sports conflict. I might have missed a tournament or two when I was a player, so that I could do my part with the deer population. :D

I don't know of a tar ball correlation, but they do occur naturally offshore when oil seeps up through the sand. It would make sense that a current pushing ashore would carry offshore debris with it.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Hey Glenn, It was good fishing with you last Monday, glad you didn't get in too much trouble for playing hooky. I will try to upload my video this weekend and get it to you somehow. I have my Lowrance Elite working again, it was just a bad battery cable. Still working on my marine radio. I think the highlight of the day was when you proficiently handled 3 Kings at one time (hope this isn't a spoiler).

Monday was definitely a primo day to be on the water. In addition to the cooler water, there was very little wind or current. I could just paddle up to a rig and start fishing. At one of the rigs I saw many (100?) big Smack swimming under my kayak over the course of an hour or so. But unless they were feeding on the surface they would not bite. When they were working the rain minnows you would have to cast immediately to get a strike. I hooked 3 and landed one. Ate some of it last night for dinnner, my wife and I both loved it. I also landed 3 Kings (but not all at the same time like Glenn) and lost 2 more. I encountered a big school of Smack on the way back to shore (I could see them leaping out of the water) but was unable to get close enough to cast before they moved on.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

As always, it was really nice fishing with you Ken. For the Smacks or Bonito, tie a Tsunami Slim Wave on a spinning rod and keep it within easy reach. When the fish start hitting on the surface, cast just past them and reel as fast as you can with the rod tip at water level. Works more often than not.
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Thanks for keeping me on the edge of my seat. Looking forward to heading down. Just tore a leg muscle so it may be a few more weeks. Hope they r still hungry :-)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Your write ups are as good as your videos Prof. Thanks for sharing!
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

Hwy prof,
if you dont mind me asking, wha do you jig with?
Ive satrted to jig here and there with ok results. Ive found shiny middle size jigs to be the best. But its off and on.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

For the little spinning outfit I use a Tsunami Slim Wave in 3/4 ounce or 1 ounce. For heavier jigging I use a 3 ounce Slim Wave or the Sumo C2 chrome/glow jig.