DISTURBING TREND

LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

DISTURBING TREND

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Well I have been off the water for a good while still recovering from an accident. Watching the forum and like others have noticed the significant decline in input and participation on the BTB forum; especially on the upper coast. Oh well it is what it is.

It SEEMS as though we have new folks joining the BTB bunch but very few trips posted. ALL the experienced ol' salts will advise to buddy up on off shore trips and know who your wingman is. I hope the lack of posted trips is just a current omission on the forum. If we are trending towards solo off shore trips, especially for the less experienced, I find this a very disturbing trend.

I am perplexed as to why the experienced old crew is no longer posting trips. Not like anyone is having to baby sit. It is simply a safety standard that should not be ignored. If you ARE RUNNING SOLO off shore please be smart and post a float plan with someone you trust. Y'all be safe out there.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: DISTURBING TREND

Post by kickingback »

Don't know about you but the weather has precluded any trips to post about. Give it time and watch the weather. I am.
stoli

Post by stoli »

I agree ....flying solo sucks and I hate doing it but sometimes it's my only choice .... work schedules sometimes is hard to find a buddy and then posting up sometimes people say they r coming and never show ... when I do go solo I have a check in time with my wife my radio Bluetooths with my phone she calls and checks on me at my check in time and then I usually tell her when I'm off the water. Always wear ur life jacket ..... ALWAYS WEAR UR LIFE JACKET!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

The weather has kept me off the water. I have fished BTB for over 15 years (MythMan taught me the ropes back then) so I guess that makes me an "Old Salt". I won't go BTB without another Yak in the water because too many things can go wrong and spiral out of control. I try to post when I go out but just have not been out much this year. I agree with the premise, there has been a lack of posts on the BTB section.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

First of all, I totally agree with your concern about going solo, but it's an old horse that's been beat to death over the years. :horse: Generally speaking, there are guys who wouldn't dream of doing it and others who don't think anything at all about going it alone. There was even a guy a few years back who bragged about going solo BTB at night. IMO, the height of idiocy, but he never asked my opinion.

As far as the old guard not posting anymore, I don't know what to tell you. I regularly fish with several of them and most decided they didn't like the new TKF format and gave up on this site. A bunch of us now set up trips, share reports, BS, etc. via text. I still lurk here, but haven't posted much in recent years.

Pat, if you'll PM me your phone number, I'll let you know when we are going to be fishing, but most of us are retired, or have flexible schedules, so fish mainly during the week.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

i solo 2-5 x a week. windy=marsh/bay. doable=offshore. don't have time to post so many trips. don't do pics or video, stored in my mind. no need to impress anyone. i do carry safety/ditch bag and epirb offshore and wife knows location of launch/fish area. and yes, she worries. life is short, fish on. still gather great info on this site.
The Roach

Post by The Roach »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:i solo 2-5 x a week. windy=marsh/bay. doable=offshore. don't have time to post so many trips. don't do pics or video, stored in my mind. no need to impress anyone. i do carry safety/ditch bag and epirb offshore and wife knows location of launch/fish area. and yes, she worries. life is short, fish on. still gather great info on this site.
Tasty: you have my vote brotha - you had me at EPIRB.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

bigfost..... you have my number. Hit me up sometimes if you guys go. I'm not retired but I am off during the summers for the most part. The only thing that holds me down from fishing is the "W" word (wife, hint hint. lol). When she is okay with me fishing, I'm in. Keep me posted on when y'all go, please. Thanks.
Laked0g

Post by Laked0g »

Ive been off the water for a few years myself trying to get employed again. Finally found a place that hires Old Guys....
Moved back to San Antonio, now temporally with out a truck, I'm looking for someone who needs a safety partner. ie I'd love to go fishin, but I need a ride. ANYONE in the San Antonio Area the needs a partner I'm Available PM me. I can pay for half the expenses. available most any weekend!
fpatino

Post by fpatino »

Fishing for sharks and reds is fun but there's a big limitation on what you can bring home. I do come to the site and read a bit but I hardly ever . most of the time I end up in the Bay by myself because of the odd schedule I keep. I've only been fishing the last 6 or 7 years and here in Houston Galveston area there's so many different places to fish that I'm still trying to find my rhythm what spots to hit at what time. Because I'm by myself most of the time I don't btb though that is where my heart is. I have so few friends that btb and are willing to drive to Corpus on a regular basis. I love this site because I made a few more BTb friends. And I'm working on being able to document each trip. I am uping my photography game big time and I am working on being more efficient woth my gear and hope to post more soon.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

I think it's partially people playing on FB and the weather. Not as many openings this year to get out as in past years. My crew has been hitting it at every chance which has only been a few times in the last six months or so. I've only been out once in Texas and once in Florida this year......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

seems like every few years we beat this horse.

I agree on the safety of going in groups. Solo a lot can go wrong and I've helped bandage hands, flip boats, tow sunk boats, etc... having safety measures is not a bad thing.
Noleader

Post by Noleader »

well there's been a problem with some of the older crowd getting fed up with too many fools on the rigs and reefs, igitur they started trolling the forum then abandoned it all together. yall a bunch of hoes lmfao