Getting hooked by your catch ...turnabout is fair play

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Getting hooked by your catch ...turnabout is fair play

Post by Prof. Salt »

Man, that hurt. Not only did I lose the largest kingfish I've ever had beside the kayak, but she hit my hand so hard it was bruised the next day (I never get bruises). I really thought I was in the clear to get a gaff into her without a problem, but I was wrong. Tod, thanks for being a friend and shoving the hook through. I still find it impossible to shove a big hook through my own finger.

Killerbee

Re: Getting hooked by your catch ...turnabout is fair play

Post by Killerbee »

I bet that smarted proffesor! Glad you got it out. Sorry you lost your King!
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Ouch, that sucks. And losing the fish adds insult to injury. We had a similar incident with my son trying to un-hook a shark on the beach a couple of weekends ago. Put a big circle hook clean through his finger from one side to the other. We were able to smash down the barb and get it out, but it hurt like heck.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Watched that video the other night. That was a sticky situation. Lesson learned for sure.
I watch all your vids and wish I had the time off to do so much fishing.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Ugh! To keep fishing after that shows you are one tough hombre! :clap:
Glad the fish became unhooked as you were hooked. If you had both been hooked for some time it could have been a lot worse.

Now, if the fish started talking to you the way you do to them, THAT would be some major turnabout! :mrgreen:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

We all have "I am a dumbass" situations. If you survive it -- it makes you wiser, if not -- it makes you ded. :-) Next time stick him where your lure snagged him at.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Longliner wrote:I watch all your vids and wish I had the time off to do so much fishing.
Lol, I worked a lot of years to get to a position that allows me to take a few days. My wife prefers to sleep late on Saturdays, so that allows me every Saturday if weather permits.
earthshipman wrote: If you had both been hooked for some time it could have been a lot worse.
Ken that's the stuff of my nightmares. I may seem to be careless at times, but I'm always calculating distances to be sure this kind of thing doesn't happen. This king was big enough to pull me (and my pfd) under the water for a while, and that is one of the few fears I have out there. Lesson learned here!
Crusader wrote:Next time stick him where your lure snagged him at.
No, I've tried that several times, and it has never resulted n landing the fish. They slap that tail around so fast and forcefully that the gaff doesn't stay in place. This king was over 60 inches and I really didn't want a risky gaff move ...there just wasn't a good option. Next time I will probably try letting it get so tired that it stops fighting, then try making my move.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sorry you got the "barb" Prof.
That's rough and something we all need to watch out for. Prof brings up great points to remember. I even had to check my pliers after I saw your vid to make sure they were still in the same place in case of emergency.
Thanks for sharing and letting all see a hazard of close quarter fishing.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Prof. Salt wrote:
Crusader wrote:Next time stick him where your lure snagged him at.
No, I've tried that several times, and it has never resulted n landing the fish. They slap that tail around so fast and forcefully that the gaff doesn't stay in place. This king was over 60 inches and I really didn't want a risky gaff move ...there just wasn't a good option. Next time I will probably try letting it get so tired that it stops fighting, then try making my move.
Well, in one case you risk losing fish, in another -- you risk losing a finger. Your call. :D

I guess you also could've stuck him further up the body, but not more than half-gaff-length away. And reduce the drag if he escapes the gaff and takes off. Too late now anyway, you'll catch him next time.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

That was the problem a 30" gaff only reached halfway down the fish. I watched the gaff shot from about 15 - 20 feet away. It was like dynamite going off next to the kayak. The fish was heavy, I would guess it would have pushed at least 40#. I will bow to Glenn's experience on this one. Not much else you can do but play the fish out and risk having her sharked.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk