What Conditions are safe?

Cmac32

What Conditions are safe?

Post by Cmac32 »

I'm new to the saltwater kayaking scene and I was wondering what app you use to check conditions and at what point the conditions become unsafe or unenjoyable. I have just loaded the magicseaweed app and it gives surf, swell and wind. Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: What Conditions are safe?

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

MSW is as good as any. I wouldn't bet on a forecast more than 24 hours out. Safe and comfortable conditions...I assume you mean for a beach launch in the surf. Watch the forecast to determine if conditions are building or falling prior to your launch. 2 - 3's surf are doable but YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT. The swells will have you rocking and rolling. 1's with single digit winds should provide a safe and enjoyable trip. Exceptions: passes, jetties and ship channels. If you are new to BTB and these conditions, you go with somebody with experience and pay attention! The Houston Ship Channel can be gorgeous in the spring and your WORST nightmare.
Cmac32

Post by Cmac32 »

LOOKN4REDS wrote:MSW is as good as any. I wouldn't bet on a forecast more than 24 hours out. Safe and comfortable conditions...I assume you mean for a beach launch in the surf. Watch the forecast to determine if conditions are building or falling prior to your launch. 2 - 3's surf are doable but YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT. The swells will have you rocking and rolling. 1's with single digit winds should provide a safe and enjoyable trip. Exceptions: passes, jetties and ship channels. If you are new to BTB and these conditions, you go with somebody with experience and pay attention! The Houston Ship Channel can be gorgeous in the spring and your WORST nightmare.
Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Only you can decide what is safe and enjoyable for your abilities and preferences, but LOOKN4REDS has provided very sound advice. Go with a buddy or two, discuss a float plan prior to launch, and ensure ALL in your group are comfortable with the plan and conditions BEFORE you launch. Sometimes a member of a group will have reservations about launching but is hesitant to acknowledge this while standing there looking at the pounding surf at dawn. Much like diving, these things are always best discussed and resolved prior to entering the water because it's not pleasant for anyone in the group if a trip is aborted or delayed due to a member that is unable to make it out through the surf zone or who capsizes, loses gear or is unable to reenter the kayak and needs assistance.

Moderate winds, current and surf at 1' or below should be very comfortable for paddlers new to surf conditions. 2-3' with a 5 or 6 second period and a capsize strategy becomes more important. 3-5' would best be approached with an expectation of wet gear and a surf beating. Don't do 3-5's unless you have a skilled group and have practiced quite a bit in these conditions. Once out through the surf zone, fishing is not too difficult in the larger rollers, but coming back to the beach is usually more difficult than leaving it. I prefer a bit of wind/wave over a flat calm, brain-roasting day. Leash, lash or stash EVERYTHING. Have fun!