Paddle yaks and rudders

Longliner

Re: Paddle yaks and rudders

Post by Longliner »

TexaRican wrote:So I got my Chinese rudder in (eBay) today which was under 2 weeks. This is complete with toe control foot pedals but no cables or instructions. I have installed many rudders through the years and I can tell you this $59 set is every bit as solid as any of the brand names.
I will install on a 14' pescador some time this week and will post the result. Bought the old Tarpon rudder bracket from ACK and ran rudder tubes with poly tubing from Ace hardware. Initial rudder cables will be heavy weedeater line. Heck, if it's good for BTB leaders, it should work for rudders. Image

Heck yea, you got a cotter pin with yours I'm jellious. I need foot controls tell me how you like. Does it look like the pre drilled holes are gonna line up for the foot controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I'm impressed, that setup looks nice, especially when you throw in toe controls!

Tastywaves, I spent a lot of time in the Santa Cruz Raptor and it was a capable kayak. The G2 design with pedals had some ongoing issues and I finally decided it was time to step away and go another direction. Jim seems to have some of the issues worked out now, and I wish him nothing but luck. The Viking Reload has proven to be an extremely well thought out design for my style of fishing, and it does everything well.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

agreed on the reload. capable yes, but I use a very old tarpon for the marsh. oysters. don't want deep cuts on the offshore girls. and that looks to be a well spent 60 bucks tex.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Longliner wrote:Somebody has Kingfish on the brain.
Conservatives to Communist you got to love it.
No offense tastywavescoolbuzz but you gotta be from Calif.
True Americans can't be fascist they just want want what made this country great from the beginning to last forever.
longy, u shop at walmart? buy rudders straight from china ? sacrilege! typical hypocrite trump supporter. no offence of course. :D
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Longliner wrote:
Heck yea, you got a cotter pin with yours I'm jellious. I need foot controls tell me how you like. Does it look like the pre drilled holes are gonna line up for the foot controls?

[/quote]

I posted the install in the rigging forum FYI.

aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Do you have a link for that rudder? Looking for one. I've been entertaining the idea of just mounting it rigid to keep tracking smooth and straight, and just raise it up when I need to turn. Not excited about dropping $300 on a kit. Really don't feel like I need the foot controls. I have enough things going on inside my kayak. I have a WS Ride 115.

Have been looking at a couple on eBay, but I'd love to get one that mounts up without a whole lot of additional fabrication. But I'll modify it to work if I have to.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I may have thrown the box out, when I get back to Austin I'll take a looksee. I've been looking online for it and can't find it no where. I think someone on here said they found one on eBay, but with the foot controls. You may change your mind later and decide to use them. Just a thought.