Fish ID sonar image

prolog22

Fish ID sonar image

Post by prolog22 »

Started fishing with dragonfly sonar recently and have a question to those who have been using sonars for longer time.
A few days ago on the way to mp rig at 25 ft depth right in the middle of water column noticed a fish on a screen taking about 3/4 of a screen width with pretty clear image of body (head, fins and a tail). At that depth (about 12 feet fish depth) what size could it be? My first impression was that it was a massive shark passing by. Could a dolphin make an image this big?
Tombo

Re: Fish ID sonar image

Post by Tombo »

Sounds kind of creepy to me. Sometimes its better not to know what lurks beneath us.
All we can do is guess. Its not uncommon for larger fish/mammals of the size you describe. If I had to guess, not a dolphin as you did not mention spotting any at the surface. Conditions were very smooth last weekend so it would be easy to see any surface activity.
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

My guess would be a shark
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Did some math. Based on a spec, the sonar makes an image out of 70 deg view angle.
At 12 ft depth this angle should make a conversion to about 13 ft length of the object. Because it showed up 3/4 of a screen width, this animal was about 9-10 ft long. Shark most likely..
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I'd be willing to bet it was a shark too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Tombo wrote:Sounds kind of creepy to me. Sometimes its better not to know what lurks beneath us.
I don't mind taking ride on sharks, but It looked creepy, I was there solo on Monday.. Did not see nobody around rigs all day long..