Recs for motel and still having yaks in the morning

Ciguatera

Recs for motel and still having yaks in the morning

Post by Ciguatera »

A buddy and I are planning on being down in Freeport/Surfside area July 22-23 and will have 2 yaks in the back of a truck. Does anyone know of any good options for places that are secure overnight? We'd like to do a reasonably priced motel but don't want to be 2 kayaks short in the morning. Other thoughts are buying a big cable to secure them in the back of the truck, hauling inside the motel room, or just camping on the beach. What does everyone else do? Thanks.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: Recs for motel and still having yaks in the morning

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Ya, I'd be the guy dragging mine into the hotel. A big cable is only as strong as the locks securing it, and serious thieves have lock cutters. The only "almost 100 percent guaranteed way " not to loose em is to never part with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

Thanks woods. If you're doing it, I'm doing it. Kind of my temptation but nice to know I'm not totally paranoid.
LouMessina

Post by LouMessina »

Ciguatera wrote:Thanks woods. If you're doing it, I'm doing it. Kind of my temptation but nice to know I'm not totally paranoid.
Looking to get into yak fishing and currently shopping. I have the same concerns. Short of sleeping with your boat, any other suggestions? My thought was cable(s) to the bed hooks on my pickup. Any horror stories to talk me out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Leave one of these in the back
Attachments
14996477055281919052372.jpg
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I use a stainless steel cable thru my scupper holes and locked to my bed, but i don't rely on that for overnight unattended security.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I've wanted to stay in a hotel down there before but I have the same concern. I know one hotel looks like it is on the ground floor so I would definitely drag them inside. I don't trust anyone down at the coast. EVER! So, I always end up camping out on the beach. Go down to Beach Access #1 or further and there is plenty of free nice beach area to camp on. Although mid-day gets hot when you have nothing to do, the nights are great!
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Alright, reaching into my pocket, here is my two cents. Try your best to park within sight of your motel window. Cable your yak to the truck leaving the cable hidden but with plenty of slack. Harbor Freight sells a wireless drive way alarm/chime for less that $15. Attached the motion sensor/ transmitter to the yak (Duct Tape) pointing it toward the cab of your truck or some solid object pending on how you have your yak loaded. Take the receiver into your room. If the yak is moved just a little, the chime will send a signal to your receiver and let you know something is amiss. The sensor has a high and low sensitivity switch and the receiver has a two options for how loud you want it. When you want a good nights sleep and a shower, it's the best way I know of short of hiring a security guard. Good luck.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Braided cables are not bad if the yak is going to be next to you like when you are camping out at the beach but if you are in a hotel/motel, not so good. Braided cables are easy to break. Check out the first half of this video. Even though it pertains to motorcycles, the concept of the braided cable on a yak is still the same. You would be better off bringing the yaks in the room with you. Another option would be to lock the yaks in the back of the truck and the truck is parked directly right outside where you sleep. This way while someone is trying to break in to your stuff, you can hear them as you are just inside where you parked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8kD3Dp9to
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Yeah, there's no way I'd use one of those. I make my own using un coated stainless cable which takes a clean cutting tool to cut it and its is more ductile than those pre-fab ones. But still, even with quality materials, I'm never far away from my yak.

WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Recs for motel and still having yaks in the morning

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

rattlesnake68 wrote:Alright, reaching into my pocket, here is my two cents. Try your best to park within sight of your motel window. Cable your yak to the truck leaving the cable hidden but with plenty of slack. Harbor Freight sells a wireless drive way alarm/chime for less that $15. Attached the motion sensor/ transmitter to the yak (Duct Tape) pointing it toward the cab of your truck or some solid object pending on how you have your yak loaded. Take the receiver into your room. If the yak is moved just a little, the chime will send a signal to your receiver and let you know something is amiss. The sensor has a high and low sensitivity switch and the receiver has a two options for how loud you want it. When you want a good nights sleep and a shower, it's the best way I know of short of hiring a security guard. Good luck.
There ya go. I knew a guy that kept getting his truck broken into and finally he had enough. He started leaving a baby monitor in it at night along with a set if golf clubs as bait. Long story short, a 16 year old kid found himself being chased by a 6'2" 240lb naked man with a machete. Truck was never rroken into again. True story.

rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Woodswatersky, the baby monitor would work just fine also. Then you can hear the thieves discussing the theft and when they start moving the yak around to cut cables. With todays technology and with minimal cost, a person should be able to secure there yak at least long enough for one to run out of a motel room door.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

Park next to room put a game camera in window. Big cable and locks to the truck sign on truck video survalence. Most want easy to get and get away make it hard or time consuming and the will target some one else
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

I've used cut-resistant chain through the scupper holes and then through the chain holes in my trailer hitch receiver, locked with a shrouded padlock. That's the next-best thing to bringing the yak into the motel room with you, which I've also done, but isn't always possible.
cowtown_cobra

Post by cowtown_cobra »

I recommend getting a cheap, old, heavy, and ugly yak like me that way nobody would steal it .
Used to lock it to the truck with big cable , at least nobody stole my nice cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Rotag wrote:Park next to room put a game camera in window. Big cable and locks to the truck sign on truck video survalence. Most want easy to get and get away make it hard or time consuming and the will target some one else

i once used a pricey game cam to capture images of punks vandalizing some property. cam was 14-16ft up in tree. got spray tagged and they stole my infra red pricey cam. thieves want it, they will try anything. i do hope to drop said thief with my 9mm someday.
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago and got to wondering if a local storage place would rent out storage for a night or two so I would have a place to back my kayak trailer into. Might be able to talk them into something like that for a reasonable price....long shot I know, but wth, doesn't hurt to ask.

@cigarsnjeeps
Endo

Post by Endo »

In combination with a cable/chain, the wireless driveway monitor and motion detectors seem like a darn good affordable solution to me. I'll probably look into it next time I have a need.

But I camp 95% of the time, so it's not an issue.