Mayan Princess Sunday 7/9

Sharpest

Mayan Princess Sunday 7/9

Post by Sharpest »

I know the BWKC is tomorrow but I have to work and can't join in. Is anyone interested in fishing the MP rigs on Sunday?
Sharpest

Re: Mayan Princess Sunday 7/9

Post by Sharpest »

Took the kayak offshore this morning. Conditions were decent with 1-2' seas and no wind at first light. Launched and made it through the surf without incident. I wasn't meeting anyone there but there were a dozen or so other guys launching too. They got out a bit before me and by the time I caught up with them, almost all of them had posted up at the first rig which is ~2.5 miles out. I swung wide to avoid the crowd and continued on to the next rig. Made it just past the second and shit hit the fan. Had a hook up on my deep rod (1 1/2 oz sinker in front of a ribbonfish). First slime on my sorta new Avet combo. While I was fighting it a pretty good sized feeding frenzy broke out 50 feet in front of my with kings crushing what appeared to be menhaden. I landed king #1 and its pretty easily the biggest I can ever remember catching. While untangling him in the boat, my legs started cramping from being contorted in a weird position and I decided my morning was over before it started. No more whiskey the night before I go offshore lol. The frenzy was still going strong so I re-baited the rod and started moving again. I was still dropping the bait back behind me when it got hit this time. Having a lever drag reel allowed me to gently apply drag pressure until I was where I like to be for fighting. This one got tangled in my second line so I cut the rigging off that one. Landed fish #2 and left them biting in the frenzy to head in. I had to alternate between paddling and peddling due to cramps all over. I only covered about 8 miles today, straight in and straight out. Usually I'll do 12-15. Made it in no problem and actually made decent time all things considered. I caught my fish around 9:30 and was back at my truck by 11.

Oddly, there were a ton of cow nose rays right at the water line today. When I was loading my shit to launch, they kept getting beached by waves and flopped around until the next wave washed them back out. Really weird. They were swimming by in schools of 3 or 4 when I landed so I free gaffed one to use for shark bait later.

lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Cool write up!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Those MP rigs are on fire this weekend! Well done on the limit of kings. I limited on Friday there. Knew it was going to be a good weekend for the BWKC.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

How do you cook them?
Sharpest

Post by Sharpest »

Either smoke and make into a dip or in gumbo. I kept the spine cut of these two to try and make into a bisque. We'll see how well that works...
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

NICE! sounds like the bite is on down at MP. Looking forward to wetting a hook soon.