Surfside Friday 7/8

jessloew

Surfside Friday 7/8

Post by jessloew »

I'm going to fish the jetties in surfside this weekend. Anyone care to tag along?
Boxermaniac98

Re: Surfside Friday 7/8

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

I might be interested, give me some details and I should know some thing closer to the weekend. Let me ask one question, your gonna be in a yak?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

I might be at the Galveston jetties

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
jessloew

Post by jessloew »

Yep I'll be in my kayak with one other guy as of now. I plan to troll and drift around the jetties on Friday and probably Saturday morning as long as the conditions permit.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

I wish I could go Friday but can't. I'm definitely down to go Saturday morning as long as conditions stay calm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

I just checked MS and sundays conditions look a little better than Saturday if you are able to go then

TKF Tommy

Post by TKF Tommy »

I will be launching Saturday morning at the pier on Quintana Beach.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

TKF Tommy wrote:I will be launching Saturday morning at the pier on Quintana Beach.
I've never fished the Quintana side before. Where do you park? Has anyone have any idea of how the water has been lately as far as clarity or bait schools?

bajabugs

Post by bajabugs »

2 more for Saturday, park near the pier...water is "supposed" to be "flat".
jessloew

Post by jessloew »

The water is pretty dirty right now out about a mile and a half. That is subject to change with the tide. I'll be down all weekend. PM me.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Yea that's what I figured. I am going to go just a matter of wether it will be sat or Sunday based on conditions. I have a moken 12.5 yak so it's not exactly BTB friendly but i will def make the paddle to the blue water if that's where the Kings will be

Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

If anyone goes out today let us know how everything goes

Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

I was down at San Luis pass yesterday (7/6) and the waves were fairly small with green water at about the third bar. That was closer to the pass so not sure what water was like closer to the jetties, nor which way the current was pushing the runoff.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

How did you do? See any birds working bait schools?

Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

I didn't fish offshore, just stopped to look on the drive back. I fished the bays and did decent - 1 keeper Trout and 1 keeper flounder with a number of undersize trout and reds. I caught 2 slot reds at 22 and 25 inches that were also released. Overall kind of slow but still fun. On the drive out, it was just getting light and I kept looking for birds as I drove the Bluewater but didn't see any althought it was still fairly low light.
Papa33

Surfside Friday 7/8

Post by Papa33 »

Shoot I wish I had more "slow days" like that lol. I'm planning on heading to surfside Sunday. The conditions look like they will be pretty calm so hopefully I can find a few schools of bait/birds. I went about a month ago and fished under some diving birds and caught a pretty nice jack but then the water got to rough for my liking so I headed in. Thanks for the report!

TKF Tommy

Post by TKF Tommy »

Yeah park near pier, I will be in a blue Hobie Odyssey. Look for an anvil colored Jeep on the beach. My planned launch time is around 7am this morning.
The Roach

Post by The Roach »

I dropped in for a quick AM fish around the Surfside jetty yesterday morning - didn't have much time since I had to be in the Woodlands at noon Image. It took longer to type this than I was actually on the water Image- hope it helps someone get out there.

Here is my drop point in the attached GE screenshot w/grid coords at top (hope you have sand tires on your yak trolley - if you get there early, you get prime parking):

Surf was bubble bath sexy on launch and like a kitty ride at Schlitterbahn upon re-entry.

Conditions: Intermittent 1-2' breaking whites at first & second bar with huge open flat water between for easy Egress. Outgoing tide 1.6' dropping to 1.4' over 1.5 hours. Wind SSW @ 6mph shifting to SSE @ 2mpm over the same period. Waves 1-2' @ 4s with intermittent 2-3' rolling swell. Choppy at end of jetty - very safe at anchor within casting distance (4lb anchor). 84 F - felt like 100 with UV index at 11 (no comment needed on Hood & Sunscreen). Mercury Rising.

Fishing: Surf fishermen were catching a few nice trout and lady fish by the dozen at the launch point from the time I launched until I returned - working under consistent birds-bustin-bait along between the two beach milestones, the Port-a-crappers (teal cans seen in the extreme edges of the GE screenshot).

Plan of Navigation was to troll/fan cast 90 degrees to beach until past jetties ~500 yards, then make approach to jetty anchor point. In transit, dropped conventional gear @ 15' water depth under Terns/Gulls rigged with 1st) Red/White Bucktail Jig and 2nd) Shimano Coltsniper-diving (trolling 1 rig at a time, alternating). while fan casting using Shimano Waxwing on Spinning gear. Lady fish pounded the Waxwing...almost too frequently, until the water was deeper.

Anchored at jetty and threw black/chartreuse red killer. Nada. Switch to Texas Roach on 1/4 oz jighead. Nada. Bone Superspook. Nada.

Return trip:

Gafftop hit the Coltsniper as soon as I made a consistent 4mph troll and she was diving. I hate those things! Reminds me of something out of Ghost Busters back when I was a booger-flicker.

Same story on the Bucktail, make good troll, land gafftop. Shame face.

NOTE ON THE JETTY: the good zone for jigging/bottom fishing was completely unusable due to the amount of people occupying the jetty and casting multiple lines. Too much potential for tangled gear. This jetty can be 100% accessed, unlike the Galveston South Jetty. IMHO, GSJ is better for Yak anchor/drift/troll for that reason - it is somewhat isolated at the end.

NOTE ON FISH ACTIVITY: I was out just after the solunar minor period (6-7 am) - missed the afternoon major period (1-3 pm).

I'll be out there today again for the big bite - look for a black GMC 2500...two tan Hobie Revo 13s with outriggers.

Longest winded fish report ever....

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Great write- up! And lots of luck and be safe out there today!
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Nice report!! Lots of great info hopefully you will have better luck today. I can't wait to get out tomorrow. Let us know how things are today when you get a chance

fitzclf

Post by fitzclf »

Bajabugs and I arrived at the Quintana pier Saturday morning. It was overcast and surf breaks were about 1 to 2 feet. Surf was full of bait, netted shrimp and 3 to 12 inch mullet. Met TKFTommy before launching. Paddled to end of jetties then to the green buoy. Water stained nearly to the buoy. Headed back to shore about 11:00AM. Catfish (hardheads gafftops) were hitting anything in a zone parallel to the shore in about 13 foot depth. Showers and breeze from shore greeted us on the way in. The cleaner water appeared to be to the east of the Surfside jetties. TKFTommy returned from the platform about the time we were finishing loading up.
bajabugs

Post by bajabugs »

After waiting for a long time for conditions to improve we were hoping for a few keepers. Maybe they will be there next time.