High Island Friday, 6-16-17

Yakety_Yak

High Island Friday, 6-16-17

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I saw that someone posted a trip for either Friday or Saturday at HI this week but I was never able to get a definite answer on which day it was going to be.

Once you hit the HI beach line, head toward the brown McFadden refuge sign. It's not very far down the HI beach line. I plan on launching roughly around a little after 7:00am right at the McFadden refuge sign to hit that early morning bite so I can be off of the water at a decent hour to head back to Houston. I will be getting my bait (I'm using mullet) from Sea Pony in Winnie. It seems the last group that went out caught sharks on mullet more than ray so mullet will be my choice of bait for Friday.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM or call me. 832-588-7091 Anyone else coming out? :)
Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: High Island Friday, 6-16-17

Post by MobyYack »

my dad and i will be there
ill text u
RudderKing

Post by RudderKing »

I'm in too
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

Yakety_yak, I would rethink your launch location if I were you. The State is doing work on the beach at that location and if I'm not mistaken access on that portion of the beach is limited. The Dirty Pelican of the Slab would be a better alternatives . This is where we have been catching the last few trips. Just saying.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I wanted to let anyone know that plans on showing up tomorrow (Friday) that instead of launching at 6:30am that I will be launching a little after 7:00am. I spoke to Sea Pony. The shop doesn't open until 6am on Friday. This is the reason for the change in launch time. Rick, the owner of Sea Pony bait shop, told me that he has horse mullet so there will be bait there to purchase for tomorrow.

Now, on to another matter. As of yesterday, the winds were predicted to be around 11 mph for Friday. That's doable but it's boarder line for me as anything over 15 mph (depending on the swells and the intervals) is not really fun to fish in. I am going to watch the forecast for winds to see what they will do. If the winds stay in check, we are good to go. If not, I personally will not fish tomorrow. As of now I am good to go. I will post something up later today around 6pm. Stay tuned. :)

It has been brought to my attention that there might be some work going on at the HI beach line. I called Rick and asked him about this. I was told that this is going on out at the McFadden beach line. Rick didn't think that it hit the HI area yet. Here is what I propose. Let's meet at the McFadden sign (on the HI side) for a meeting spot. If you get there and see any kind of construction or anything that looks like we can't park and launch, that will mean we have changed locations. The location then will be at "The Slabs." If you are unfamiliar with how to get to the slabs, here's how I do it (MythMan, if you see this post, can you reply with a map to The Slabs on here (the satellite image you have used in some of your previous posts). Coming from the Winnie area on Hwy 124 and you just did that hard right curve to enter on to the Port Bolivar peninsula on to Hwy 87, follow down for a short time. As you are going down Hwy 87, look to your left on the beach line. It's hard to see over the raised sand dunes and the concrete walls but try and look for some really huge boulders that are on the beach line between the water and the dunes. This is what we call The Slabs. Right after you pass it up, fairly quick there is a area that opens up to where you can enter the beach line. If the sand is too thick there and you are unable to enter, there are a few other options to choose from.

Option 1
Park along side of the road and make sure you bring your kayak dolly's so that you can walk your yaks to the water. I've done this before. It's not fun but it is manageable. As long as you park on the side of the road and your vehicle is not on the road at all, you will not be ticketed or towed (a few years back I spoke to Galveston PD on this and that is what they told me).

Option 2
This is what I do when I fish at The Slabs (assuming the entrance of HI is not under any kind of construction). I turn on to the HI beach line (which is 2wd friendly) and when possible, I do a U-turn and drive down the beach line. Coming from this direction has always been 2wd friendly for me in the past. Follow the beach line until you see The Slabs (I am not exactly sure how far down the boulders are but you will see them and these boulders are very obvious). Pass the boulders up and pull your vehicle up to the water so that you can unload. After we unload and are set up, everyone pulls their vehicles up against the dunes to park. The only part that is not 2wd friendly sometimes is the entrance. The beach line is usually pretty good. THE ONLY TIME THIS OPTION IS NOT THAT GOOD IS IF WE HAVE A REALLY HIGH TIDE AND IT PROHIBITS ME FROM MAKING IT DOWN THE BEACH LINE BECAUSE IT'S UNDER WATER. MY ONLY OTHER OPTION LEFT WOULD BE TO DO OPTION 1.

I'll post up later today on things. Have a great Thursday! :)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I was just looking at a few sites and as of now, it looks as if the surf/swells have gone down but the winds are standing where they were when I last checked. As far as I can tell with this humidity and heat, the wind will probably give us some relief from all that. I will see everyone in the morning. :)

PS: Don't forget that Sea Pony doesn't open until 6am on Friday. It opens earlier on the weekend for those that are going to HI on Saturday.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

is tomorrow gonna be SUPER safe for my 63yo dad? it will be his first BTB
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Moby, what you can do is show up and see if it's something you guys want to try. If y'all are feeling fairly confident, give it a try. If not, make sure and have inshore gear with the both of you and hit up Stingeree marsh for some reds, trout, and flounder.

Cya in the morning. :)
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

hope no one went btb today. if you did, you got a beatdown out there. the bay? yes
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

Drove all the way from Pearland to High Island. Got there and it was +-15 mph winds and rough water with waves breaking 100 yards off the beach. Needless to say I did not launch. Ended up taking the ferry to get back home. The forecast was not accurate at all.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Dang - Hate to hear that! :x
RudderKing

Post by RudderKing »

I was out in it and it wasn't that bad I was able to get an hr and a half nap anchored up