Upper Coast BTB it was a Shark Day

dr.flatfish

Upper Coast BTB it was a Shark Day

Post by dr.flatfish »

Friday we finally were blessed with an almost picture perfect day to Gwhich a few of us took advantage of. Mythman had called ahead to Seapony Bait and Tackle so that Rick could stock up on fresh mullet for us. MM and I spent the two hour drive down to Winnie discussing the things two old men talk about, grandkids, sleep or the lack of, and doctor stuff . We made our usual stop at Seapony and picked up some mullet and we just had a feeling we would need shark bait so grabbed some ray. Bigfost was ahead of us and already had his new BTB flag waving and his yak unloaded. By the time Mythman and myself got our yaks unloaded Jim and Perchjerker arrived to complete our ensemble. Once we launched we scattered out at different depths so to locate the bull reds. MM was the first to strike with a bull red in the boat but it cost him with 3 lines and an anchor line all tangled up. Shortly after getting that mess untangled he scored again with a 5 foot bull shark. Ok now we know where the fish are so the rest of us merged on MM at 19 feet. Then methodally everyone started catching except yours truly . The hookups were not fast and furious but enough to keep it interesting. Except for yours truly. The only thing happening for me was the gaftop stealing my bait. Got tired of that so I decided to move out farther , a lot farther out , where I had seen pelicans diving. Paddled out to the birds which was at a depth of 23 feet. Before I could get my second line out my first line in starts taking off, alright first cast at new location and fish on. Things are looking good now, bull red in the boat. I set out two mullets on bottom and a ray under a balloon lets see if there are any shark around. In the mean time the birds move on , my radio dies and I can't hear what's going on with the other guys,and the gaftop move in. I sit there for ever and nothing but gaftop then I see the birds again but about 500 yards away. I paddle over chasing the birds and there is bait popping the water all around me, the first bait I've seen all day. Lines in the water this time since ray under the balloon hasn't worked I try mullet under a balloon. All this time I have no idea what is happening with the others. Shortly the balloon starts slowly moving around like it might be another dang gaftop. I put some pressure on and I get a hookup with a three and a half foot bull shark. Now I can barely see Bigfost between me and shore but can't see Mythman my ride home. It's getting late so I decide to call it a day and head on in. It was a beautiful day to be on the water and it's good to know the the bull reds and sharks are back in the High Island area. It has been over 2 years since we've had good fishing like today . Oh yea, the total for the day was 19 sharks up to 6 to 6 and a half feet with most being bulls. And there were 4 bull reds put in the boat, not a bad day at all.
Last edited by dr.flatfish on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Heatstroke

Re: Upper Coast BTB it was a Shark Day

Post by Heatstroke »

Awesome stuff!! I sure wanted to tag along but it seems work is always in the way these days.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats gents!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Glad to hear high island is producing. MM helped me catch my first black tip there

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Nice to see an old fashioned honest to goodness BTB report from the upper coast. Enjoyed the post and good job by the BTB crew that day. Thanks
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Good to see activity at high island. Glad yall had a good day. That makes me wonder if the extra 2 hours to Corpus are worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

theres another group headed there saturday june 17.....pm if ur interested
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

I miss these reports. Really look forward to everyone's adventures out there.