BTB reels

TigerLandSportsman

BTB reels

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I am thinking about trying to snag a reel or two at Gander Mountain during the closing sales.

How important is free spooling? Is it truly needed?

It looks like I can get a Penn Battle II, w/rod, for the same price as just the reel. This is a spinning combo.

I can also get a Penn Squall around the same price.
Heatstroke

Re: BTB reels

Post by Heatstroke »

For what I fish for I don't feel like it's very important at all. With a spinner, I just loosen the drag off and start adjusting as needsd.

Not long ago I picked a Penn Squall 25N and I had to re educate my thumb to control the free spool on that piece. Even with the spool tension knob tighted all the way it still wants to get away from me.
TigerLandSportsman

Setting the drag loose is what I was thinking about doing for the spinning reel.

Is there a need for a conventional reel over a spinning? Other than line capacity.

Spinning reels seem to have lower maintenance issues.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Just personal preference in my eyes.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I really like my Penn Battle 2 reels. I do the same as most, back off the drag and tighten it as needed. I recently picked up a Penn Spinfisher V and I'll be testing it Saturday. Good luck on the reels.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I can tell u from personal experience that the PB rod leaves little to be desired. Mostly QC issues. The reel is awesome
TigerLandSportsman

Longliner wrote:I can tell u from personal experience that the PB rod leaves little to be desired. Mostly QC issues. The reel is awesome
I have a back up ugly stick, so the rod is just a bonus for the price.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

When fishing live bait with a spinner I open the bail but I keep hold of the rod and just fish with that rod.