TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Wow the prices of yaks these days are insane

Post by Living Waters »

The Hobie Mirage Tandem Island Kayak - 2017 is priced at $6,649.00

The Hobie Mirage Adventure Island Kayak - 2017 is priced at $4,749.00

The Native Watercraft Titan 13.5 Propel Kayak is priced at $3,249.00

I know it took me a few months to get my Hobie AI out of layaway and that was in 2016 when the price was about 1000 less.
These prices are in the same range as a jetski or a skiff, john boat. Don't get my wrong I love the Hobie Islands but mang! they getting up in price. That makes those jetski sure tempting to get compared to the new prices of these yaks.

Just my thoughts on this what do you guys think? (I know there are pros and cons on the motorized crafts compared to yaks) but those prices tho
8)
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Wow the prices of yaks these days are insane

Post by Living Waters »

I am very happy with my 2016 Hobie AI, I put a Suzuki 2.5 motor on it and that even made it so much better. I can beach launch it anywhere and to about 30 + miles in a day. I go at a safe trolling speed of 6 to 7 mph and with the motor, I do not have to tack, which save's a lot of time.

If i had to do it again I would prob look for a used 2015, or 2016 Hobie AI and do the same thing. I have been thinking alot about a jetski, but the pro's and con's .... well the con's out weigh the pros IMHO.

Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Well, you hardly covered all the Kayaks but I agree, Hobie Kayaks are very, very expensive. I'm old school, aka. cheap. I paddle my Yak. I enjoy paddling, it ensures I won't be in hurry when I'm supposed to be relaxing :-). My wife tells me the exercise thing is good for me. If you can live with the idea of paddling a Kayak (I know, crazy talk) then a "New" Yak is more affordable. Hobie Yaks are very nice and appear to be built very well..... They have an excellent reputation for quality products.....so you have to pay to play in that sandbox. If you were to zero in on Lexus and/or Porsche and/or "pick your premium brand", for your gauge on car prices.... then cars are crazy expensive. Between you and me, I would love to have a Hobie PA...... and may someday..... mine will definitely be pre-owned and broken in. I'm not above giving the seller a made-up sob story to get the price down...... I've seen me do it! :roll:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

I agree the prices are crazy, and that is for most all the kayaks, but as long as they have folks who will pay those crazy prices you will continue to see the price increase.
There are a probably a lot more folks out there that would be a customer but they have priced them out.
Even the used ones are high even though reduced the original owner can't take a beating when he gets ready to sell, and usually someone will come along who can't afford a new one.
What is worse in my opinion is a popular kayak manufacturer that is selling his kayaks with no seat and or provides one that leaves a lot to be desired, so it forces the buyer to buy an aftermarket seat just to be comfortable....What is a crime is the kayak is just as expensive as other kayaks in that class that come with great seats as well as all the other features.....Give me a break! :roll:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

> Just my thoughts on this what do you guys think?

Plenty of cheap alternatives. My first yak costed me ~2k (after all expenses) -- second-hand, plenty of space, trolling motor, battery. Full package and a kitchen sink. Over years, as I learned fishing I gravitated towards cheap, light and simple -- my current rig costs ~$1k, more than half of these (~$550) -- fishfinder. And yet I catch way more fish than few years ago. In fact I stopped taking any fish -- still have crappies and reds from spring 2016 in my freezer.

But on the other hand all these expensive rigs are awesome. Dicking around with new toys, equipping them, testing them on water, etc. A hobby, which (as most hobbies do) gets more expensive the more you get into it.
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

More than 5000$ is a lot but it's a hobie sailing boat. You can't get it from another brand. Without competition they'll be able mark up without losing share of market. People who can afford 5000$ will likely pay the extra 1000. :) I think.
But I think fishing from a jetski is different sport. For me I like to paddle so paddling while fishing is the (most) satisfying way of catching fish. I would imagine jetski fishing is also very fun in a different way. Faster and exciting.
My dream kayaks are the likes of stealth profisha however these are also 3000 plus new and there are no used ones in Texas.
Hopefully in not too many years there will be affordable, light, fast, carbon fiber fishski available in the us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

A jonboat and two sailboats? I thought this post was about kayaks?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

RESALE!
You do not loose much on resale of a Hobie or other high end kayak as long as it is kept up.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Couple other aspects to consider.
1. Cost is driven up with more options such as gear tracts, rod holders, drives, seats ect.
2. With more options comes weight.
3. More stuff equals more things to break.
After a recent demo day of paddling and playing around, kayaks have come a long way. I was looking at another kayak to compliment my Hobie Revo 13, one I could stand up in. There were a lot of choices and all of them were much better kayaks since I got started in kayak fishing. They paddle better, more options to choose from, more efficient layout, and are so comfortable to sit in.
My opinion is to do your homework, try everything you get your hands on, think about how you store, transport, fish, and paddle. Get it right the first time and you will have years of good service.
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Living Waters »

Boomy wrote:A jonboat and two sailboats? I thought this post was about kayaks?

HAHA..... there always seems to be ONE in every post....

Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

it's not the sport (or mode of fishing if you prefer) that I enjoy. I like my little floating plastic chair, that I bought used on TKF when I joined a few years ago, paid $300 bucks, it still floats (mostly), I can still catch fish in it (when I get it on the water), and I'm still happy. Now it doesn't have radar, a microwave or satellite TV like these yachts you mentioned - but if I wanted all that, I'd buy a center console.

To me, it has always been the simplicity of sliding my yak off the roof of my truck, putting it in the water, grabbing a rod and a few necessities, my lifejacket (psa), and my paddle and heading out that I loved. I don't want to need a trailer - it's counter to the very idea I have about what is cool about a kayak. But to each his own.

I actually didn't realize people pay 5k for a kayak - damn...but then again I didn't realize people pay $5 for a cup of coffee either until I wandered into a starbucks - I guess if people will pay it, you might as well charge it...
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

With all the gadgets kayaks come with now its not surprising at prices of them. Been wanting to get a new one for some time but the $$$$ is holding me back. Not worth it IMO, and I do already have 3 :roll: . One of the things I like best about a new kayak is rigging it up myself the way I like it. Now most of them come fully loaded with not much room for customization.
I bought my Hobie Adventure in '08 from FTU for $1200 new (end of year sale). My other 2 kayaks are perception biminis that cost each $650 new from Southwest Paddles Sports in '04(?). Guess I'm getting old and telling stories of how much things used to cost :lol:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good 90%-99% resale value for the kayak and about 30%-60% for the gear if also well kept. Take it down for more scratches, dents, bows, leaks sun rash, oyster rash, etc The gear looses lots of it's value so don't expect a big return. Besides, some like to rig their own "new" kayak. New to them. Some like it rigged already. There are deals out there. Many in here but more on Craigslist.
I just saw a 2011 for sale for $2k. I bought a 2011 for $2250 and his had the extras like H-Bar and stuff. Good looking kayak for $2k. Better setup and looking than mine when I got her.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Wow the prices of yaks these days are insane

Post by Boomy »

Living Waters wrote:

HAHA..... there always seems to be ONE in every post....

Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

You know what I think about Hobie AI / TIs! The are very cool fishing platforms but require too much effort to prep and stow after fishing, and of course there is the cost issue. $6,500 for a TI and you still need to accessorize, add electronics, tramps, motor?, and purchase a trailer. I am into the Yamaha VXR for about $9500, that includes everything; aluminum crate, electronics, all accessories, tax, and trailer. It had 25 hours on it when I bought it used, just 5 hours past the break-in period. For a couple more grand I have 180hp , 72mph speedo top speed, and a safe operating range of 80 miles. When arriving at the boat ramp it takes 5 minutes and you're gone. Don't get me wrong I still love kayaking; the Hobie Revo 13 has proven to be an excellent marsh kayak.
It's 2 very different ways of fishing but I love them both.

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The good news is we can still buy relatively inexpensive kayaks, used or new. They do the same thing used as they did new.
Bought my Hobie Revolution 13 new in 2015, love the seat. Saved my pennies and found outgoing year on discount.
I used to have a Hobie Islander, bought it used. It really is a cool craft for going offshore and sailing. On low/no wind days offshore, I removed the right side outrigger and the sail. It was slow but was a great platform for fishing offshore.
To each their own.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

motors, sails, peddles = boat
paddle = kayak :shock:
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Crazy Yak wrote:You know what I think about Hobie AI / TIs! The are very cool fishing platforms but require too much effort to prep and stow after fishing, and of course there is the cost issue. $6,500 for a TI and you still need to accessorize, add electronics, tramps, motor?, and purchase a trailer. I am into the Yamaha VXR for about $9500, that includes everything; aluminum crate, electronics, all accessories, tax, and trailer. It had 25 hours on it when I bought it used, just 5 hours past the break-in period. For a couple more grand I have 180hp , 72mph speedo top speed, and a safe operating range of 80 miles. When arriving at the boat ramp it takes 5 minutes and you're gone. Don't get me wrong I still love kayaking; the Hobie Revo 13 has proven to be an excellent marsh kayak.
It's 2 very different ways of fishing but I love them both.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero problem with jetski fishing. I would actually consider it and would join a ski forum if I did buy one.

I do have issues with jetski's on a kayak forum, and people putting gasoline engines on kayaks (now skiffs) and trying to call them kayaks. If it can't be paddled it's not a kayak. Electric trolling motors for the disabled is a different matter though.

To the OP, yes prices have gone up. My preferred kayak went from $1300 to $1800 this year, and I expressed my disappointment to the powers that be. As the sport grows niche boats will get more expensive because they can. When I sold mountain bikes we would look down on $300 bikes and $3000 bikes seemed expensive but not crazy. I road a $600 because it was the limit of my need. I guess I could have maybe bought a used dirt bike, but I was into mountain biking not motocross.

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

It's all about how serious we take our sport, and how much we can afford in order to enjoy it the way we want to.
Everyone has different priorities in life and hobbies can at times rate pretty close to the top.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I have to admit, I wouldn't have to think twice before deciding on buying a $4000 yak vs a seadoo for BTB fishing. I already have a paddle yak that most would consider outdated but it does what it was designed for.
Jumping on a jet ski for some offshore fishing has definitely got my attention. That just seems like a whole lot of fun.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

There's nothing wrong with having personal zen beliefs about kayaking, I used to be exactly the same way many moons ago and truth be told I despised jet skis. There's also nothing wrong with venturing outside the box in regards to fishing platforms (Solo Skiffs, Jet Skis, Sailing Kayaks, Float Tube, whatever gives you joy). Isn't that part of the appealing nature of kayak fishing? Things evolve, you get older, interests change, etc. Personally, I kayak more than jet ski fish so I'm still part of this TKF crowd, thankfully! Will hopefully see you guys at BWC this year. Yes, I will be kayaking; no wait a minute, I mean peddling a Hobie! My hope is to dominate that Trash Can award!
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Living Waters »

Boomy wrote:
I do have issues with jetski's on a kayak forum, and people putting gasoline engines on kayaks (now skiffs) and trying to call them kayaks. If it can't be paddled it's not a kayak. Electric trolling motors for the disabled is a different matter though.

To the OP, yes prices have gone up. My preferred kayak went from $1300 to $1800 this year, and I expressed my disappointment to the powers that be. As the sport grows niche boats will get more expensive because they can. When I sold mountain bikes we would look down on $300 bikes and $3000 bikes seemed expensive but not crazy. I road a $600 because it was the limit of my need. I guess I could have maybe bought a used dirt bike, but I was into mountain biking not motocross.

Sorry to burst your bubble Boomy, but in fact the Hobie Mirage Adventure Island and Tandem Island are classified as KAYAKS, also you called the Native Watercraft Titan 13.5 Propel Kayak a (John Boat) sorry to burst your bubble again but that is a KAYAK too..... lol :lol:
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Living Waters wrote:
Boomy wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble Boomy, but in fact the Hobie Mirage Adventure Island and Tandem Island are classified as KAYAKS, also you called the Native Watercraft Titan 13.5 Propel Kayak a (John Boat) sorry to burst your bubble again but that is a KAYAK too..... lol :lol:
yep........until you put on sails, peddles or motors. it then becomes a sailboat, a peddle boat, or a skiff. bubbles bursting :dance:
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

WOW! You pulled out the big guns with the bold font. I now feel properly chastised for being right. Won't happen again........ don't know what I was thinking. ..... my bubble has been burst.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Living Waters »

Boomy wrote:WOW! You pulled out the big guns with the bold font. I now feel properly chastised for being right. Won't happen again........ don't know what I was thinking. ..... my bubble has been burst.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Look here mAnG... I really dont care what you call it, im not posting here to impress, infringe, impose, my kayak motorized fishing style on anyone. I dont care about sponsors, or promoting any type of kayak. I just post here for entertainment only. This post was about the prices of kayaks and how they have changed over the years... that's it. I am not here to argue nor to make friends. If you feel this post is not appropriate for the site then just simply report it. I will still post reports on here from my "motorized kayak" for entertainment. If you do not agree with this post or thread ..... then just simply move on, you have every right not to look at anything on here. I do not apologize for any miss-understanding. We are all brothers and sisters on plastic boats.... Be Bless. mAnG 8)
Last edited by Living Waters on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.