New to Texas

Burnman4182

New to Texas

Post by Burnman4182 »

Hey guys just moved to sugarland area from central cali coast. Have been kayak fishing for the past 7 years. Some shallow water stuff but mainly big game fish blue water kayak fish and free driving. I was a firefighter and ended up in a wheelchair in July of 15 so haven't been back otw since then. Finally at a place where I'd like to get back at it but am hoping to pick some brains on what my options are for places to launch. Quick info about me, I can move my leg so looking into the hobie to help get farther out but I cannt walk so the launch is gonna be the hard part take help from others.... any an all info would be nice not trying to get in a bad spot from lack of area knowledge.
Tombo

Re: New to Texas

Post by Tombo »

One of the best parts of being a moderator is I can be the first to welcome new members.
Its a brotherhood so jump in and find your niche.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Welcome to the Republic!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Welcome! :)
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

First, welcome to the club.
Second, to fish in the bay/marsh then i would suggest to try launching at Rollover Pass because it will allow you to drive to edge of water to drop off your yak.
Or you can get a list of launch places at "Tail Tail Signs" website.
Burnman4182

Post by Burnman4182 »

Thanks for the info, and anyone know of any outfits that use hobie kayaks and then sell them? Hunting for a Mirage drive on a budget lol.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

ill help u anytime i can. i fish pretty regularly. mainly out of galveston
Ozark Gringo

Post by Ozark Gringo »

First off, welcome to the Gulf Coast!
My advice for you: Start by heading over to Austin Canoe and Kayak and have a chat with those guys. They rent Hobies and can tell you lots of good spots to launch.
You mentioned that you used to fish the Bluewater for pelagics. On the gulf coast, the best offshore action is definitely going to be at the oil rigs for cobia/kingfish (watch for posts/videos by Prof. Salt down by corpus christi) there are platforms closer to you, however, there is one at Sea Rim state park, one at Surfside (has a nice boat ramp) and another at Matagorda. These will require some 4wd beach driving.
If you want something closer to shore, you can go just past the breakers at High Island for Bull Reds/sharks (watch for posts/videos by Mythman)
On the Gulf Coast, the crux of being able to head offshore is finding a day when the swells are <2ft and the wind is blowing offshore (from the north). try watching websites like Swellinfo and Windfinder

If you want to catch some bay fish, then my advice is to try the Galveston causeway bridge AT NIGHT. There is a really great boat ramp there, and the fishing is super easy. Just bring a couple silver spoons and pitch them at the lighted bridge pilings.