TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lures VS Live bait trolling

Post by kickingback »

dmanars wrote:..... Maybe I should invest in a plastic ribbon fish :idea:
Try this...
bajabugs

Post by bajabugs »

Good job kickingback, that is crafty. For those without the patience or ability to create lures I found these... not sure what will happen but hope to find out soon.
Add description
Add description
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I think if the lures or spoons we're being trolled at speeds of 7-8 mph you would have more hook-ups. With a dead bait like cigars or ribbons 1-2 mph is sufficient. Try casting out a jig with an 8' rod and a spinning reel spooled up with braid and a high retrieveal rate like 40"+ per crank and rip it in as fast as you can.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

1498496073347258238750.jpg
This is an 8' heavy tidemaster rod with a reel that has a 43" per crank retrieval. I can cast this almost 100yrds when using the f-14 jigs pictured. The rapala is a great kingfish plug but if I troll it behind the yak a shark will eat it. This one is new and won't be trolled. Should have a fast retrieval for kings with lures so the sharks stay off
bajabugs

Post by bajabugs »

Good to know about the F-14's, is there a strategy or selection for keeping sharks off your lures ?
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I just got back from the Mississippi coast and plastics did incredibly well inshore for sand trout. Nearly every cast I had a bite.... crazy action. I then went 10 miles offshore in the Hobie TI and almost nothing wanted my plastics. Put on a 2oz bucktail with a 8 inch mullet and it was on like Donkey Kong!! Went through a school of Spanish and they couldn't handle the large mullet and were cutting them in half so I added a stinger hook. Lots of hook ups, but my fishing partner was new to saltwater fishing or fishing in general so few fish were boated. still great fun and a lot of action.