Fish Pass area beach camping -- not allowed anymore

Endo

Fish Pass area beach camping -- not allowed anymore

Post by Endo »

A public service announcement to those of you who stay on the beach or camp near Fish Pass (Mustang Island). The State Park has now banned it. No mas.

The area I'm talking about is you take Beach Access Road 2 and turn right (instead of left to go to MP rigs). Turning right dead ends eventually in the old fish pass jetties. This was my preferred camping stretch on the Island because it was less crowded (relatively speaking) at night than the other stretches of beaches on the Island, due to cruisers and revelers. I'm guessing since it was a dead end, it was just a bit less crowded. Enough to not be awoken every 5 mins by partiers.

Anyway, here's what happened:

I had my tent pitched and was sitting in my chair having a beer and watching the evening surf. A state park ranger rolled up in his truck and told me in this order: 1) No alcohol allowed on the State Park beach. Period. 2) Camping is no longer allowed and 3) the whole beach is shut down at 10:00 and no one allowed on there.

Me: WTF. I've been camping here for 20 years. He said they just changed the rules 2 months ago. Said they were afraid people coming down at night liked to do donuts on the beach and they were afraid they would hit and kill someone. So they are shutting down access to the beach (after 10pm) and banning camping, etc...

He said state park land begins at marker 103, about where the two houses are with the silver metal roofs. Can't camp past that, which is most of the beach after you turn right from Access Road 2.

So I had to pick up my camp and tent, re-locate and move a half mile back down the beach. Nice way to spend the relaxing evening.

Talked to a couple other POed people that drove by the next day, said park police were kicking everyone off and giving them the same message. Also, no fires allowed on their beach. Any infraction of the above rules and you could get slapped a $500 fine is what they are saying.

I'm guessing you can't night fish on the jetties anymore either, since they shut it all down at 10:00 PM.

For any of you who camp on that area, giving you a heads up to find another stretch of beach. Big change in the rules. I actually never knew that was State Park property. I just assumed the state park started at fish pass..

Last edited by Endo on Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Fish Pass area beach camping -- not allowed anymore

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Sad that a few people making bad decisions can ruin things for the majority
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Must have been liberals that shut it down. A few young kids ruin a great thing for an entire community. That is not the way to handle problems like this. They could lose tax dollars from less people visiting in the future. With that money they could just as well hire a few additional police officers to monitor the area and keep the riff raff out. So sad that one stupid persons decision to act stupid on the beach can make a ignorant city official decide do something totally outrageous to remedy the effects of those stupid people that caused the problem and in the process cause issues with the sane, smart, peaceful people that elected them into office. Sad that liberals are taking over and not thinking as usual.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

AS I understand it that part of the state park will now have the same rules as the rest of the state park. I, also, was not aware that the part of the beach north of the fish pass jetty was state park. Thanks for the heads up.
shoreburd

Post by shoreburd »

Do you have a link with this info?! thanks for the heads up!1
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: Re: Fish Pass area beach camping -- not allowed anymore

Post by bigbuzzard »

kickingback wrote:Must have been liberals that shut it down. A few young kids ruin a great thing for an entire community. That is not the way to handle problems like this. They could lose tax dollars from less people visiting in the future. With that money they could just as well hire a few additional police officers to monitor the area and keep the riff raff out. So sad that one stupid persons decision to act stupid on the beach can make a ignorant city official decide do something totally outrageous to remedy the effects of those stupid people that caused the problem and in the process cause issues with the sane, smart, peaceful people that elected them into office. Sad that liberals are taking over and not thinking as usual.
Let's see if I've got this right....if someone doesn't agree with you they are a stupid liberal. Makes me wonder about you. But you are dead wrong, liberals allow and condone that behavior and say party harder, conservatives want everybody to toe their line. Me, I'd rather camp where nobody bothers me. Seems like budget cuts won't allow the park service to hire more people. The best solution would have been for the park service to block off that section of beach and you have to then enter the park to access. I've never had a problem drinking alcohol (beer) in a state park... I'm not showing it. I pour my beer in a "Tommy Tippy cup" ( travel mug) and dispose of the crushed can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Fish Pass area beach camping -- not allowed anymore

Post by kickingback »

bigbuzzard wrote:
kickingback wrote:Must have been liberals that shut it down. A few young kids ruin a great thing for an entire community. That is not the way to handle problems like this. They could lose tax dollars from less people visiting in the future. With that money they could just as well hire a few additional police officers to monitor the area and keep the riff raff out. So sad that one stupid persons decision to act stupid on the beach can make a ignorant city official decide do something totally outrageous to remedy the effects of those stupid people that caused the problem and in the process cause issues with the sane, smart, peaceful people that elected them into office. Sad that liberals are taking over and not thinking as usual.
Let's see if I've got this right....if someone doesn't agree with you they are a stupid liberal. Makes me wonder about you. But you are dead wrong, liberals allow and condone that behavior and say party harder, conservatives want everybody to toe their line. Me, I'd rather camp where nobody bothers me. Seems like budget cuts won't allow the park service to hire more people. The best solution would have been for the park service to block off that section of beach and you have to then enter the park to access. I've never had a problem drinking alcohol (beer) in a state park... I'm not showing it. I pour my beer in a "Tommy Tippy cup" ( travel mug) and dispose of the crushed can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
:horse:
Yeah well anyone that reads a post about someone other than them and attacks someone in the same forum for stating facts I have to "wonder" about their motives. Democrats have been elected in the majority of major cities in Texas. They make the rules by legislation and law. Got an issue with it? Elect someone more independent like I do. Don't ever go "wondering" about me personally. To me, that's just a liberal word for "judge". "I have to "judge" you." See how it sounds?
Now back to FACTS, liberals are the cause and I am not racists or biased or against anything for the PEOPLE. I am a devout constitutionalist and I will defend it like I did for 22 years and continue to do so to this day.
Sorry if I pissed you off with facts about liberals. Know your facts and read my posts before you judge, or at least do it in a pm or privately if you don't like dirty laundry aired in the open that's not even yours to begin with.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Another little bit of freedom taken away...
MrTexasFreedom

Post by MrTexasFreedom »

Sucks that the state park has clamped down on that section of the coastline. Didn't even know there was a sanctuary in the area with fewer partiers at night.

About fifteen years ago, a buddy of mine was tent camping by himself at Port Aransas. Middle of the night, a truck ran right over him as he lay asleep inside his tent.

He woke up. Got in his car. Drove to the nearest gas station that was open and slammed his drivers license on the counter and then passed out with blood gurgling out of his mouth.

He's alive today with a scar that runs from his sternum to his belly button from where the doctors opened him up and sewed all his ruptured internal organs back together.

Lesson learned-- when beach camping, I always park my vehicle right up against my tent. Works as a great wind break and also a drunk driver break.

If you're trying to make friends, don't go on a fishing forum and start mouthing off with divisive political crap. It doesn't endear one to the community.

mtf
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

MrTexasFreedom wrote:Sucks that the state park has clamped down on that section of the coastline. Didn't even know there was a sanctuary in the area with fewer partiers at night.
If you're trying to make friends, don't go on a fishing forum and start mouthing off with divisive political crap. It doesn't endear one to the community.
mtf
I personally do not come to forums to make friends. I come to read and post about fishing and try to help others as well as get info for myself. I think I do a great job at making friends even though I do not try. I am easy going like that.
Now posting about political issues in a fishing forum will get you political replies. If you are divided on political parties and get upset with divisive opinions then you shouldn't get mad at others with different views, no matter what period. People need to learn to "let go" of their own agenda and think of ALL the people. Some people just cannot carry on a factual conversation without being negative toward others. Hate it. Brings out my bad side reacting to people who are ignorant to the facts.
If you state a fact about a political party trying to ruin a good thing for the people, like fishing or camping on a beach, then I will chime in as well. My right under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. I did not start this political thread. I only added to it. Stop beating the independent up will ya?!?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

From memory so correct me if I am wrong. There was an incident where folks were camping down Padre that were killed due to driver hitting the parked vehicle as they were sleeping. Seems alcohol was involved.
I have camped a couple times along the beaches and wonder how long it will be before its outlawed.
Also trying to put this thread back on the original post.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I just got back from meeting friends over the weekend on the East Coast. One of the guys brought up in conversation a similar issue with one of the State Parks he frequents in Florida. Recently that Florida park closed it to beach camping, etc...

Seems like this may not be a local incident and that coastal parks around the nation are changing their policy/rules around this.

Endo

Post by Endo »

Following up on this post from last year and looking for an update from anyone who may know......

Anyone know if the rules have changed back to allowing camping along this stretch of beach now?

Not sure if anyone has camped there this year and if the Park Rangers are running people off or have spoken to any to find out if they changed the rules back to allow it.

I called the Park Headquarters and they were decidedly not helpful, rude and ambiguous. Basically didn't answer my questions on it. I suspect the person was not taking the time to try to understand what I was asking.