2017 Natve Titan Review

Boxermaniac98

2017 Natve Titan Review

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Ok guys, I posted this in here as it is (was) my intention to purchase the Titan and will use it for all of my fishing needs and BTB. I am a big guy, 6'2" 250lbs so this kayak has had my attention. Currently I own the 2013 PA 14, a great boat I would just like a different layout. My first kayak was the Native Mariner 13.5 and I loved the propel system.

Today April 22, I rented the Native Titan and headed to Lake Conroe, wanted to spend the day in the kayak to see if I really was going to spend the kind of bank they request for the new Titan. I have seen many videos and as always I believe and the videos never inform us on how big the person in the kayaks are they jump around do their marketing dances and rave on how great the product ABC kayak is. AND !!!! it is always different when I get in the product ABC kayak. Why?? Because the guy in the video is 5'4" and 145 pounds, a very big difference between him and me. Another big indicator to me is that all the videos are shot on glass type of conditions, never in the real world condition. It is not like when I get to the water if I can't shave in it I am packing up and going home.

Well I can say that I attended the demo days and tested the Titan, in Conroe glass conditions, (not a great test), however it still cavitation problems. Then I went to Missouri City demo days, bigger pond more wind slight chop, (better test) still the same problem.

Today Lake Conroe (Scott's Ridge) high winds as the front pushed through some white caps not great conditions to be in a kayak but it was great conditions for testing the true performance of this vessel.

After putting the kayak in the water I pulled it around to the small cove next to the launch and loaded a couple of poles my phone, a DP, and my life jacket. Of I went, out to the left around towards the swimming area. The water was very choppy, ( I would say 1-2 ft seas as a comparison) the kayak did not give me any concerns though it felt very stable even as I turn the kayak parallel to the waves to see if that gave me any concern. None I never felt I was going to turtle, something I would not have done in any other kayak.

Tied up the first set off trees to see how it handles this kind of choppy conditions, was the nose going to handle this? Was it going to be too shaky? was it going to lift and slam down getting jerked by the rope tightening up and then giving slack as it settled into the next oncoming wave? Nothing I have fished this spot many of times in the same conditions and much better conditions. I prefer the better but today was not about that. I felt very comfortable, never being jerked around never slamming down, this kayak performed great.

Released the rope and headed out to the middle of the lake out past the old rail tram entering the bigger body of water headed towards the 1097 bridge. I stopped paddling and stood up moved around and never felt in any danger. The is something I can not do in any other kayak period. I got on my knees and crawled out to the nose and sat on the front hatch cover of towards one side for strength and hung my legs of the front of the kayak. I almost fell in but what I was doing was not normal and would not be doing at anytime in normal fishing conditions. The kayak did not feel as it was going to flip, I almost fell as the waves were very rough and the wind was incredibly strong.

Ok enough about the amazing stability with this kayak and down to what I think is the more important concern.

The drive on this kayak needs to be reviewed. The center of the hull of the kayak is concave, and not just by a little, it is a very large area. I would think that it is designed this way to help allow the kayak to remain stable, and get into skinny water with it weight of nearly 150lbs. The kayak move or travels through the water superbly at either fast or slow speeds. What happens in smooth water and worse in chop is that the propeller creates positive and negative forces, drawing water in and pushing water out to thrust you in either direction. When peddling this actions causes the water to be drawn towards the propeller and you can take the center cover off and watch as it creates a void so the propeller is pulling air. Yes AIR, and you loose propulsion. When this happens it makes noise in both smooth or choppy conditions. the biggest concern is that when you are heading into a headwind you must apply more force to move forward, this causes the drive to cavitate, add some chop and the problem gets worse.

the hull being concave, and the drive unit not being longer where the propeller is down further in the water really creates an large issue with getting this kayak through the water. I don't want to fish in mirror conditions, I want to fish anytime I want and when I get to my destination and it is choppy I want to put my yak in the water and catch fish.

When I returned the Titan to ACK in Spring, I spoke to the manager, who quickly stated that he was told this was only a proto type and that changes may be made. In the same few minutes he told me that he had 24 of these units sold already. I hope for the people who have already purchased that this issue is resolved. I know that you can use the transom mount for a trolling motor but you can always use this and participate in many tournaments. I want this kayak just not sure I want something that I am going to struggle with in the water.

Hope this helps.
Boxermaniac98

Re: 2017 Natve Titan Review

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Just a heads up, I owned the Mariner 13.5 and this was not a problem.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Sounds like they rushed through product testing!
Hopefully they get enough complaints they fix the issue!
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

I agree, however if it is not addressed before the first shipment their may be several buyers that will own a yak they can't propel through the water well. Personally I like the native product, but if they don't do right on this product I will struggle buying another yak of theirs.
Sideler

Post by Sideler »

Thanks for the great review.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

Right now I think the best prop kayak iv been in is the predator pdl.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Everything I've seen with the Predator PDL is they have the best layout and well thought out kayak out there.
It's a beast, but Old Town built a kayak that few folks can find fault with.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Thanks, very clearly stated review. One that you would never see in an advertising-supported magazine.

Just wonder if the cavitation (well described, too) conditions occurred because of your larger size and leg power. I can imagine a 145 lb 5'4 tester not having that issue show up at all. If so, then the smaller buyers might never experience what you so clearly noted.

I am always amazed at all of the posts on FB TKF and on many kayak sites about " what kayak should I buy?". A dozen answers...and NO ONE ever asks the size, shape, age, or balance of the inquirer.

Well done. You would well qualify as a reviewer, but no one will hire you since you point out the negatives, not just the positives.

richg99