High island/ McFadden fishing this season

My68MyWay

High island/ McFadden fishing this season

Post by My68MyWay »

So I haven't been on here or even fishing in a while but I came across an article the other day that made me wonder how this season will be. Apparently they've begun sucking sand from a mile and a half offshore and pumping it onto the beaches of McFadden to help restore them. What are yalls opinions on this? Do y'all think it will help or hurt fishing? With something like 6.4 million cubic yards of sand being relocated (info from an old article I found from 2015 speaking about this project) what do y'all think these deep pockets being created offshore could do to the fishing for us kayak guys? Will be interesting to see what the sharks and reds do with this change in their habitat
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: High island/ McFadden fishing this season

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Since there is virtually NO beach left we can't fish there any way. The impact study states benthic disturbance may take up to a year to recover. I'm sure most of Fadden will be closed for the entire operation. That puts us at Sea Rim or Crystal Beach as closest options. I for one will be glad to get the beach back even if we have to wait a couple of years.

As far as impact on fishing I would think the major concern is the shoreline and not so much the barow location. Target species will be impacted primarily by availability of bait. Shoreline sediment may negatively impact bait species until stabilization occurs. Just move on down to Crystal and try not to get stuck.