The recent weather window

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

The recent weather window

Post by Prof. Salt »

The weather window was short and bumpy, but it was enough to get us offshore and into the fish! Tod and I jumped through last week's brief window and discovered that even with the strong breeze, water was clear and fish were thick around structure. I managed a limit of snapper, with three of them caught on ...wait for it ...a Bomber Windcheater. No joke. Within four feet of the surface!

We didn't locate any kingfish, but the jacks were thick and ran 32-37 inches, and I even managed a very fat strawberry grouper that hit my little chrome spoon as it bounced off the bottom. Tod landed a 39" cobia, and we both caught some big spanish macks before we headed back in. I made the mistake of trolling the Windcheater on the way back to the beach and caught three more jacks and another big spanish. My fish-laden kayak was really sluggish in the surf (the breakers had grown from just under three feet when we launched and were now running around 4 feet. With 80 lbs of fish up front, the kayak submarined the nose up to my knees on the face of a big wave that surprised me at the third bar, and it took all my strength to back-paddle and pull the nose back up without hitting bottom. I DO NOT want to pole vault in my good kayak, thank you very much. :shock:

Now we're stuck watching the wind blow again (can someone pass the tartar sauce?), but I can assure you that when the wind lets up that plenty of fish will be there waiting for us. :D

PS - Yes, there will be video, but with all the wind noise I'm still looking for suitable music.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The recent weather window

Post by kickingback »

Awesome! Glad you caught a mess of fine fish Prof! Cool pics! Thanks for sharing!
bigtrout

Post by bigtrout »

Just curious professor do you use a fish finder? Don't remember if you have used one before .
GREAT CATCH!
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Awesome.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

bigtrout wrote:Just curious professor do you use a fish finder? Don't remember if you have used one before .
GREAT CATCH!
I was slow to adopt electronics, and usually just tried to use what I had learned about the fish to locate them. This season I bought a Raymarine Dragonfly 4 pro and it cuts down the time needed to locate the fish, identify what they are and then get baits to them pretty quickly. It feels like cheating sometimes, but I'm okay with that!

It also helps me confirm the distances I paddle. It turns out I was pretty good with just estimating distances, but I was never sure until now.

I even bought a vhf radio so I can call friends or the Coasties if needed. :D
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You've been fishing offshore all this time without a VHF radio?!?! You are a kayaking God Prof......LOL :dance:
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

Looks good. Those are some big jacks.
Poseidon01

Post by Poseidon01 »

Nice!! Waiting for the video now...
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: The recent weather window

Post by Boomy »

Prof. Salt wrote: .
I even bought a vhf radio so I can call friends or the Coasties if needed. :D
Woohoo, no more phone relays with Tod while fighting six foot swells!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Chingadera

Post by Chingadera »

You eat those Jacks?
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

A sure sign that spring is here. The Red Buds bloom and the Prof puts a big catch on the beach. Thanks for the post looking forward to the video.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Chingadera wrote:You eat those Jacks?
No I don't but Rocky gives me store credit for them and then sells them to the shark guys. A "Roy's Bait and Tackle debit card". What could be better than that? :D
Vlad_989

Post by Vlad_989 »

I made it out that weekend too, got 3 jacks (39", 36", & 34" ) and a cobia that was too small to keep (33"). Had a double hookup on the jacks that tangle my line in the rudder and broke my rod, I landed one of them.
Attachments
20170407_130724.jpg
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Nice jacks! Sorry to hear about the double trouble, but I know very well that it can be a handful. Still, it's exciting when two big fish are trying to pull you in two different directions.
shoreburd

Post by shoreburd »

Hoow far out were you????
r12338

Post by r12338 »

Is the Jacks-for-store-credit at Roys open to the public or is it just a special deal only for the Professor ? :)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Stop by and ask them because honestly I don't know. When I come by and their freezers are full I'm Stuck with them but they usually move them as fast as I can bring them in.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I saw the pictures before I read your post and I was thinking, dang I bet that was a hard paddle with all that added weight. Looking forward to the video. I sure wish I could take advantage of those windows. I'm just too far away from saltwater, so I'll have to enjoy your great stories.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Glad you were able to find them. I heartened by a limit of snapper. I think the near shore snapper bite will keep getting better as long as we have structure to fish. Did they follow the lure up or just dart from under the kayak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I was trolling when the snappers hi the shallow divert. Evidently the school was working all the way to the surface chasing bait, and I got lucky having a lure there at the right moment. I made several passes with ribbons running deep, looking for cobia, and got snapper that way too. Good snapper will eat whole ribbons, but it can get expensive because they'll eat a lot of them.