TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

LOL, you will need MANY rigs to fish all the days. Hehe. I made 20 king fish rigs myself for one day.

I will be coming down and fishing Saturday instead of Sunday now. Sunday is gonna be bad for winds and waves. I have a feeling that Blake will make the final determination about this BTB but my personal opinion is that Sunday will crap out and on Thursday Blake will send out info that the trip will be Saturday instead. Please wait for his official word but I am going on Saturday! See you guys out there!
Ryanh1801 wrote:Also anyone that wants to fish Friday and sat am send me a Pm looking to make the most of my trip down there and looks like those days are the best with surf conditions right now.

Another thing I have 4 king fish rigs and 6 steel leads is that enough for 3 days of fishing or should I stock up? Really want to land my first king. Have a Truth reel with a tiger rod ridged up.

Ryanh1801.... I will be down on Thursday evening so that I can fish Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I've had days where I've only gone through a few leaders and then there have been days where I have gone through all 20 leaders. At this point I then have to resort to other lures such as crank baits and such. If it's a great day on the water and I've used up quite a few leaders, you will usually find me at the end of the day sitting at a table at my campsite making leaders for the next day.

I have close to 20 king leaders. When I take a kayak fishing trip such as the BHP event, I carry 20 leaders and have enough supplies with me to make plenty of additional king leaders. I make sure that I have plenty for each day if the need arises.

In reference to kickingback's remark, please see my response on page one in my original thread at the very top. All my updates will be posted there. What I do is edit my original post by adding an update at the top so that nobody has to go searching for it.
Just so everyone knows, the kayaking go to surf forecast is magicseaweed...

http://magicseaweed.com/Bob-Hall-Pier-Surf-Report/361/

That is the link directly to Bob Hall Pier. It's usually pretty accurate a couple days out. Closer to a week, is good for rough planning, but pulling the trigger on a specific day needs to be done relatively close, especially if you are trying to cherry pick.

You can see that weds-sat are supposed to be pretty flat, under 2ft. Good for beginners. When things start getting 2ft +, plowing through surf can get a bit hairy.
APynckel wrote:Just so everyone knows, the kayaking go to surf forecast is magicseaweed...

http://magicseaweed.com/Bob-Hall-Pier-Surf-Report/361/

That is the link directly to Bob Hall Pier. It's usually pretty accurate a couple days out. Closer to a week, is good for rough planning, but pulling the trigger on a specific day needs to be done relatively close, especially if you are trying to cherry pick.

You can see that weds-sat are supposed to be pretty flat, under 2ft. Good for beginners. When things start getting 2ft +, plowing through surf can get a bit hairy.

u goin now AP?
Just to let everyone know.... I will be heading to BHP on Thursday somewhere around 12pm - 3pm arriving in daylight so that I can set my tent up. I will be camping on the BHP beach line from Thursday all the way until Sunday. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to call me. If I don't answer, leave a text or voicemail. I may have a fish on the line but I will call you back. If I don't call back for awhile, that means I will be out of cellular range. Sometimes out on the water there are some dead spots where the cell phones don't get reception. As soon as I get your text/voice mail, I will call you back. The best time to reach me is early in the morning before I hit the water or later afternoon after I have gotten off of the water.

FYI... just remember to look at my original post on page one at the very top for current updates to this event. I will have a decision made by tomorrow night or early Thursday morning on things. The event will happen. The question is will it remain on Sunday or will it be moved up a day to Saturday. Stay tuned for further details. :)
Yakety_Yak wrote:Just to let everyone know.... I will be heading to BHP on Thursday somewhere around 12pm - 3pm arriving in daylight so that I can set my tent up. I will be camping on the BHP beach line from Thursday all the way until Sunday. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to call me. If I don't answer, leave a text or voicemail. I may have a fish on the line but I will call you back. If I don't call back for awhile, that means I will be out of cellular range. Sometimes out on the water there are some dead spots where the cell phones don't get reception. As soon as I get your text/voice mail, I will call you back. The best time to reach me is early in the morning before I hit the water or later afternoon after I have gotten off of the water.

FYI... just remember to look at my original post on page one at the very top for current updates to this event. I will have a decision made by tomorrow night or early Thursday morning on things. The event will happen. The question is will it remain on Sunday or will it be moved up a day to Saturday. Stay tuned for further details. :)

IS there a map of what places you can camp? I was going to camp at the SP but this would be cheaper for sure but thought I read something a while back that they did not allow camping on the beach at a lot of places now.
Ryanh1801 wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:Just to let everyone know.... I will be heading to BHP on Thursday somewhere around 12pm - 3pm arriving in daylight so that I can set my tent up. I will be camping on the BHP beach line from Thursday all the way until Sunday. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to call me. If I don't answer, leave a text or voicemail. I may have a fish on the line but I will call you back. If I don't call back for awhile, that means I will be out of cellular range. Sometimes out on the water there are some dead spots where the cell phones don't get reception. As soon as I get your text/voice mail, I will call you back. The best time to reach me is early in the morning before I hit the water or later afternoon after I have gotten off of the water.

IS there a map of what places you can camp? I was going to camp at the SP but this would be cheaper for sure but thought I read something a while back that they did not allow camping on the beach at a lot of places now.

I know that if you camp out past access rd 6 it's free. BHP doesn't charge anything if you camp out there (it has to be past access rd 6). I always get a beach pass. I fish Corpus enough during the summer to where a beach pass is needed in other places I fish so it's in my best interest to have one. I would recommend getting a beach pass at the local gas station just to cover your bases.
kayak drifter wrote:Will not be able to make it on the new Saturday date. I was really hoping the Sunday date would work. I'm out.

Thanks!
Kayak Drifter

Kayak Drifter, sorry I had to change the date. Sunday would of been tough for many. Saturday is going to be the better date to fish with good weather/conditions. Hit me up another time when you can fish and let's go catch some kings! :)
I may come out. First time to BTB in about a year for various reasons, but I've made dozens of BTB trips on the upper coast, so 2-3 feet forecast by NOAA should be manageable. With my long skinny yak, that often means a yardsale on the way in, though. It's a shame the conditions won't be quite so smooth.
Ryanh1801 wrote:Fish was great today. Nailed my first two king fish about two miles off shore. Got a few other fish.

Congrats man! I didn't see you out there Ryan?! I was out there on Wednesday and Thursday. Caught a 38" Cobia on Wednesday and hooked up on two kings that came off close to yak as well as a spanish mackerel just offshore before the end of the pier distance out. I threw her back as I mistook her for a king in the early hours of the morning. Thursday better, launched in the near 6" swells at 4:30 in the morning (yes it was dark, that is how flat it was), I caught two kings around the rig, landed one and the other I let tangle in my fins like a rookie. Lots of undersized red snapper on the bottom near 1 mile rig on squid and 2 oz weight to get it down quickly through the column of bait stealers. Had two kayakers at the rig for about 2 hours snorkeling with spear guns around the rig getting sheeps, triggerfish, and anything else they found. They had a great time as I did trolling for kings around the rig!
It's gonna be good for you folks on Saturday! The water is CRYSTAL clear to about 15 feet down. You can see the schools of fish below you as well as tailing triggers next to the rig!
Be safe, and wear sunscreen!
kickingback wrote:
Ryanh1801 wrote:Fish was great today. Nailed my first two king fish about two miles off shore. Got a few other fish.

Congrats man! I didn't see you out there Ryan?! I was out there on Wednesday and Thursday. Caught a 38" Cobia on Wednesday and hooked up on two kings that came off close to yak as well as a spanish mackerel just offshore before the end of the pier distance out. I threw her back as I mistook her for a king in the early hours of the morning. Thursday better, launched in the near 6" swells at 4:30 in the morning (yes it was dark, that is how flat it was), I caught two kings around the rig, landed one and the other I let tangle in my fins like a rookie. Lots of undersized red snapper on the bottom near 1 mile rig on squid and 2 oz weight to get it down quickly through the column of bait stealers. Had two kayakers at the rig for about 2 hours snorkeling with spear guns around the rig getting sheeps, triggerfish, and anything else they found. They had a great time as I did trolling for kings around the rig!
It's gonna be good for you folks on Saturday! The water is CRYSTAL clear to about 15 feet down. You can see the schools of fish below you as well as tailing triggers next to the rig!
Be safe, and wear sunscreen!

I was fishing the Rigs off of the state park. Turned my ff on today and guess it was more like three miles off shore.

Don't blame you for canceling it. Although I am new to btb I have been kayaking for a while And this morning was pretty damn rough. Getting past the. Breakers was a little sketchy. Then once out the swells where really bad Luckily they had died down some by the time I came back in.
SAHunter1983 wrote:If I were a new guy I would not recommend starting in these conditions. This is considered washing machine. Also there is a moderate to strong S current right now so if you do attend, make a float plan and plan your drift accordingly.Image

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

What app is this?
Guess this is where ignorance is bliss. We got down to the beach around 1200 yesterday. The water looked rough but we just bought kayaks last week and don't know any better. We paddled out past the breakers a few times. First time either of us had ever been in a kayak before so it was difficult but we didn't know what to expect. The swells outside the breakers where big. So big when you went over one you could only see a wall of water in front of you. The return to the beach was tricky. We both flipped out a few times.

Beat up but not ready to quit we woke up this morning to find nobody with a kayak anywhere on the beach. At that moment I realized maybe this wasn't normal surf conditions and assumed the event was canceled.

Sitting at IHOP now and decided to log on and see what's up. We'll good call on canceling the event. We look forward to meeting ya'll later in the month. We will have more practice by then anyway.

P.S. Any good ideas what I can do with two dozen semi frozen ribbon fish?
Its hard to plan a friendly fishing event on a "set date", no one knows what the weather will be like unless you are in that three day window. For me personally I just go by the weather, I only attend "events" if they fall in that three day weather window when that time comes. I just hope that the BWKC will fall in that three day window. Good luck on the next date. 8)
JBM wrote:P.S. Any good ideas what I can do with two dozen semi frozen ribbon fish?

Keep those ribbons on ice and then put them in your freezer/deep freezer for the next time you go BTB. As long as you don't keep them frozen for several months, they are usually pretty good. Another thing you can do is buy new ribbons while using the old ones as chum or for fishing on the bottom while out BTB.
Diablo, nucanoe, bonafide?

either the nucanoe flint or diablo amigo (rotomold[…]

Nice and interesting. :clap:

White Bass

It's good to check a week from now.

Malibu x-factor

No sir, I mean Mason, TX. But actually now that yo[…]