TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Yakety_Yak wrote:
1ManCrew wrote:Can you please add me to the list? Thanks.

I've added ya to the list.

Blue Devil 7 wrote:Man, the wave forecast does not look good at this point. I know a lot can change with 6 days to go , but I don't like it. 2-4 ft @ 6 sec with 15-25mph winds :(

I agree. I simply don't want to make an assumption that things will be bad and then they are not as it gets closer. This is why I am waiting until Thursday/Friday to make a final decision.
The numbers seem to be bouncing around a bit. Tuesday and Wednesday look better than they did yesterday. Friday upgraded a little as well. My son and I are probably a go if the swells are below three and period above 4. I know that for beginners that is a no go but we will have to pull the trigger on Wednesday. Not as fun but we have been out in 3s at 3-4 seconds. I remain determinedly optimistic. Everyone think mellow thoughts :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Whenever it happens, I had a question about yak recommendations. I have an old Mini-X that is stable but slow and easy to transport, or my heavier 15' custom kayak that's a very similar to a tarpon 14 or 16 that is fast but considerably less stable. How far do we typically paddle? I'm trying to gauge which yak would serve me better as my time on water will be limited on the 23rd. I'm pretty experienced BTB and have made several dozen trips on the upper coast, out to 4.5 miles or so. Just curious on opinions, mostly on how far we'd have to paddle to maximize fishing time. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AyJay wrote:Whenever it happens, I had a question about yak recommendations. I have an old Mini-X that is stable but slow and easy to transport, or my heavier 15' custom kayak that's a very similar to a tarpon 14 or 16 that is fast but considerably less stable. How far do we typically paddle? I'm trying to gauge which yak would serve me better as my time on water will be limited on the 23rd. I'm pretty experienced BTB and have made several dozen trips on the upper coast, out to 4.5 miles or so. Just curious on opinions, mostly on how far we'd have to paddle to maximize fishing time. Thx.

AyJay, I use a ride 135 which is much slower than my son's Tarpon. I haven't fished the standpipe but there are other rigs out there. If you paddle to them you are looking at a 10 mile day minimum, I think. My son has no problems in the Tarpon but I wish I had a faster Yak. On our last paddle to the first MP rig he beat me by a good 2-300 yards.

AyJay wrote:Whenever it happens, I had a question about yak recommendations. I have an old Mini-X that is stable but slow and easy to transport, or my heavier 15' custom kayak that's a very similar to a tarpon 14 or 16 that is fast but considerably less stable. How far do we typically paddle? I'm trying to gauge which yak would serve me better as my time on water will be limited on the 23rd. I'm pretty experienced BTB and have made several dozen trips on the upper coast, out to 4.5 miles or so. Just curious on opinions, mostly on how far we'd have to paddle to maximize fishing time. Thx.

Most everyone will be going to the first rig which is around a mile from the beach (which is particularly recommended for new BTB kayakers). There are rigs past the first and closest to the shore but they are further out. If you plan on going to those, you will need to plan to not be back at shore until after 2pm at a minimum. If you have a time frame you need to meet, then the 1-mile rig is your best bet and not the further ones.
We are out for next weekend. We were down Thurs through Sunday. Thursday was good. Friday waves were small but the wave period was short. It was fishable but a bit of work. Saturday waves were OK but period was still short. We turned back at the third breaker. Sunday was blown out.
Good call. Hope everyone has a good outing next weekend.

wesmyers wrote:Will be going and bringing some friends who are renting kayaks. I just purchased the FeelFree Lure 13.5 and was wondering how well it would fare out there?

I have added you to the list. In regards to the new kayak you have purchased and if it being BTB capable, I'm not sure. I haven't been out with anyone BTB in this particular kayak nor have I tried it personally to know its capabilities. My recommendations are:

1) Come out and try seeing how you do going through the breakers with no gear on to see how it handles the day before the event. After you make it through, go out a little further to see how it balances in the swells (be sure to bring a friend. I'll be there Saturday afternoon so I will be happy to go out with ya if you want.). If all goes well, you should have your answer and then you can make a determination on whether you should do BTB in your kayak.

2) Let's see if anyone can post up in here on this particular kayak and how it does BTB. I'm sure someone owns this kayak and can relate to your question.

jnd1959 wrote:We are out for next weekend. We were down Thurs through Sunday. Thursday was good. Friday waves were small but the wave period was short. It was fishable but a bit of work. Saturday waves were OK but period was still short. We turned back at the third breaker. Sunday was blown out.
Good call. Hope everyone has a good outing next weekend.

Thanks for the report on things. I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it next week. Keep me posted on when you hit the water again. You never know when I will be out BTB kayak fishing. I'll be happy to hook up with ya sometimes. :)
Surf-forecast is showing 1-1.5 at 4 seconds. A little choppy, but the one metric on that site I like to see is the wave energy value. As a base line, 100kj is basically a rideable wave for the surfers. I figure anything in the teens shouldn't be too bad to paddle through. Current forecast is at 3kj. :)

Swellinfo is showing 2ft at sunrise, dropping all day to a half-foot by lunch. I'm liking what I see so far.
Yakety_Yak wrote:
wesmyers wrote:Will be going and bringing some friends who are renting kayaks. I just purchased the FeelFree Lure 13.5 and was wondering how well it would fare out there?

I have added you to the list. In regards to the new kayak you have purchased and if it being BTB capable, I'm not sure. I haven't been out with anyone BTB in this particular kayak nor have I tried it personally to know its capabilities. My recommendations are:

1) Come out and try seeing how you do going through the breakers with no gear on to see how it handles the day before the event. After you make it through, go out a little further to see how it balances in the swells (be sure to bring a friend. I'll be there Saturday afternoon so I will be happy to go out with ya if you want.). If all goes well, you should have your answer and then you can make a determination on whether you should do BTB in your kayak.

2) Let's see if anyone can post up in here on this particular kayak and how it does BTB. I'm sure someone owns this kayak and can relate

I appreciate your advice and definitely will be taking it. I'll see you out there.
It's still a little early to predict on how the surf/swells will turn out but I can say this, it looks like each day is a build-down from the next. I have been noticing that each day looks more doable than the last. At this rate if things keep going the way they are, it should be a great Sunday for offshore.

The kayaking part for offshore should be good. After all those days of rough conditions, I am not sure on what to expect for the fishing part. I'm hoping for the best! :)
Please add me as a definite possible maybe.

Also, I've been out to the standpipe a few times and the gps on my phone shows the distance at about 1.9 miles from shore. I've read a few times on the forum that the distance is about a mile, is my gps off that much?

Also X2, Roys still had ribbon fish this afternoon. They're on the small side but they look pretty fresh.

Kyle

Nice and interesting. :clap:

White Bass

It's good to check a week from now.

Malibu x-factor

No sir, I mean Mason, TX. But actually now that yo[…]