TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

fpatino wrote:Coming from Houston. I plan to leave Saturday afternoon stay overnight in the bed of the truck(camper) and leaving Sunday by 3, no later than 5...ish. Looking to split gas. got a single cab Silverado long bed with camper and bed extender. got room for one more. 8323265241

If your shotgun seat is still available I'd be interested in riding down with you. 2817403986
TxTitan wrote:
fpatino wrote:Coming from Houston. I plan to leave Saturday afternoon stay overnight in the bed of the truck(camper) and leaving Sunday by 3, no later than 5...ish. Looking to split gas. got a single cab Silverado long bed with camper and bed extender. got room for one more. 8323265241

If your shotgun seat is still available I'd be interested in riding down with you. 2817403986

Matt, I don't know if you have heard from fpatino yet but if not, I will give him a call just in case so that he can reach out to you. Cya on Sunday!

bajabugs wrote:texassurfreports.com has BHP live webcam....guy using cast net on beach looks to be doing okay.

Thanks for the update, bajabugs. :)
titanic2 wrote:Add me to the list for Sunday please! Also will a 50 foot anchor rope due?

You have been added. I'd recommend at least 100 ft of rope. Usually the rule of thumb is the depth x 3 but 100 ft will be close enough. Home Depot sells 100 ft of rope for around $10.00 (in the hardware section). I'd recommend that if you want to anchor up. I personally will not be anchoring up unless I anchor to the rig. If that is the case, I have a rig anchor.

Cya on Sunday.
!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!! I just want to take this time to thank Blake for taking ng time out of his own schedule to phi on this event for all of those people that showed of up,me for for one and my son, we had a bast not to mention my son catching his first limit of King fish and I mean king fish ! One over 50"and the other one was 42"
Thanks Blake ! Look forward in fishing some more with you ! God bless you and your family,hope to see you soon Yakety-Yak
My 1st time BTB. Thanks to Blake for putting this all together.
I learned SOO MUCH!
The only thing I would like to see happen, better safety. Especially for the folks that are brand new to this activity ( example; can you get yourself back into your yak if you end up in the drink, maybe the buddy system. Just throwing out things to see what sticks ). I think there were too many people ( yaks ) around the standpipe for anyone to catch a lot of fish. I put on some bait just passed Bob Hall pier to start my trolling. I was almost to the stand pipe when I decided to look behind me...here comes a guy (not with us ) in a Hobie out island, just 25-30 yard right behind me. I don't know how long he was there, I asked him to go around me and not to come so close to others who have lines out. I found it difficult to find a clear area, around the platform, to troll.
I did manage to catch a really nice King, about 36"-40". Didn't have a measuring device, but it was longer than my leg, LOL. I may have been able to catch more, however I ended up out of my yak along with all my bait. Day over!
Some things I learned: stay with a buddy ( when I went In I was alone, lucky for me I had no issues ), keep your bait leashed along with everything else ( wish I would have know that one beforehand ). Your tackle is crucial, don't scrimp on decent tackle.
Met some really nice folks. I had hopes of finding a partner that lives close to me to go BTB with from time to time. I'll keep looking. Nowhere close to 100+ people, maybe 30-35. Blake did you get a head count?
Hope to see all you out on the water again.

Brucell
My wife and I had a great time at this event. Many thanks to Yakety Yak for bringing us all together. I think the advantage of a larger group is the greater feeling of security. If someone had experienced a problem, there were many of us ready to help out. The conditions in the morning were such that my wife and I would probably not have paddled out if it was just the two of us, but with the larger group we were more willing to give it a go. I'm glad we did. We pushed our personal boundaries and learned more about our gear and ourselves. Even though we didn't find the fish, it was a great confidence builder. It was a bit crowded at the rig, but that wasn't just our group out there either. I was still able to find room to troll around. It was great to meet folks and we hope to see you on the water again some time. :)
I live in Corpus and fish the surf just about once a week, it has been strangely dead for quite awhile. After I got off work Sunday I drove out there but got stopped by my buddies (completely random that I ran into them) and the surf was beautiful. It was slightly cloudy with a fairly small swell, and the wind was about 10 mph. I didn't see much/any bait in the surf or birds working. Not too sure why that was because from my experiences last summer the surf is a hot spot for smacks and monster lady fish. I never got to go off-shore last summer since my dad didn't let me bring his second (my) kayak down. I think closer to September, later august the surf down here is going to be slamming with some nice fish.
Mr.CrankBait wrote:I live in Corpus and fish the surf just about once a week, it has been strangely dead for quite awhile. After I got off work Sunday I drove out there but got stopped by my buddies (completely random that I ran into them) and the surf was beautiful. It was slightly cloudy with a fairly small swell, and the wind was about 10 mph. I didn't see much/any bait in the surf or birds working. Not too sure why that was because from my experiences last summer the surf is a hot spot for smacks and monster lady fish. I never got to go off-shore last summer since my dad didn't let me bring his second (my) kayak down. I think closer to September, later august the surf down here is going to be slamming with some nice fish.

If you were out on the beach line the day we were doing this outing, I think the cooler weather and water was the reason for the lack of fish/bait activity in the water. Who knows why fish/bait do what they do sometimes but that would be my guess.
Diablo Chupacabra $1200 OBO

Diablo Chupacabra, never been in water. Comes wit[…]

Most of the quick cleanup folks are gone now. But […]

Diablo Adios $1200 OBO

Never been in water Diablo Adios in the desirable […]

Ocean Kayak Spec (Scrambler)

12' Olive Green Ocean Kayak Spec model. This is t[…]