Houston Ship Channel Big Uglys Thursday April 6, 2017

spoon

Houston Ship Channel Big Uglys Thursday April 6, 2017

Post by spoon »

I plan on hitting the HSC this Thursday for Big Uglies and whatever else may take my bait... Conditions appear to be about as good as they are gonna get .. 0-1 fters..., winds from 3-9, and sunny and warm... Remember these are predictions and can change.. The channel can get a bit wavy from passing tankers, so this is definitely not for a first timer. Any experienced kayaker that wants to join can send me a PM.

LIfe jackets mandatory, and heavy anchor and radio strongly recommended.

Spoon
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Houston Ship Channel Big Uglys Thursday April 6, 2017

Post by Boomy »

One of these years I'm going to have to try it.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Y'all be careful on the ship channel. I have seen anchors catch and kayaks pulled completely underwater before. Be careful....
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Where you launching from? Last time I planned a trip there I was going to launch from Public ramp on south end of causeway and head NE to the channel. That was a good distance from launch. Just curious if you're launching closer.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

chazbo wrote:Y'all be careful on the ship channel. I have seen anchors catch and kayaks pulled completely underwater before. Be careful....
could you be more specific on this? we were there recently but were careful where we anchored but id like to know the trouble spots
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

The whole ship channel is a trouble spot. Often, the current is just ripping through there. Me and my wingman had fished the ship channel many times, without any incident. Then one day.....seemed like any other. From the beach, we couldn't see any difference in the conditions. My partner left the beach before me, but I wasn't far behind.

When he had paddled out past the drop off, he deployed his anchor. The anchor line was attached to the yak. When the anchor caught, the current was so strong, that it pulled his yak completely under water. He popped back up, only to be pulled under again. He was trying to cut the anchor line, when the anchor pulled loose. After that, we decided that for us, the danger was too great for us to continue to fish there.

It may not happen to you, but then again..... At the bare minimum, I would recommend not fastening the anchor line to the yak when you deploy. If it is in your hands, all you have to do is let go.

If ya go, be safe.....
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's why the anchor trolley's are used. You want the line to break under conditions like that. I only attach to my yak when i know i can quick release with a slip knot or hold in my hand until I know conditions let me anchor.
I still want to know where you launched at? East beach or the road going to east beach right on the channel?
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Well, you are,so much smarter than me, but my point was two-fold. 1. HSC can be a deceptively deadly spot, with wicked currents. 2. Don't tie off your anchor line till that anchor catches, and your yak is stable.

PS. We launched from Appfel Park.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks!
LOL, I NEVER pretend to be smart. I am always learning something everyday of my life. It's amazing the things I learn still to this day. And at my age I am starting to forget the stuff I learned when I was younger. I think my mind is like an 8-track tape. It overwrites old stuff to make room for the new stuff I learn...LOL
spoon

Post by spoon »

Charlie, we launched at the Boddeker Park beach launch or whatever it is called and headed east to the south jetty.... Probably not the smartest move so I don't recommend it... On the side by East Beach appears to be closer.. but I pmed a guy here asking him some general info about if it was 2wd friendly/how was the launch conditions over there with no response so we had to launch from a spot that we were comfortable/familiar with.....

8 track players.. you gotta love them.. remember how some songs would cut off like midway at the end of a track .. then you would get the pause then click click click thump and the song would continue playing on the next track?? LOL state of the art technology there boys in '76!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

8 tracks wow LOL don't know if I can remember THAT far back. Amazingly though they outlasted the new kid on the block with the latest greatest technology....wait for it....... BLU RAY. Still around but unfortunately kinda "insignificant".