Ascend fs12t??

Seanpwilliams98

Ascend fs12t??

Post by Seanpwilliams98 »

Hi everyone. I'm starting to get used to my kayak and consider myself pretty experienced in it. Would you all thing that my ascend is sea worthy for BTB? The bay fishing hasn't panned out like I thought it would and I would like to try to catch something bigger from the yak. Let me know what you think.
Also, anyone that does go BTB often send me a pm. I wouldn't go alone out there and need buddies to teach me and make it all more safe. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Ascend fs12t??

Post by kickingback »

If I were you I would take that kayak to some area to test your skills in it getting out and back in first.
You don't want to go BTB like 5 to 10 miles out and dump everything either going out or coming in or both. It will ruin your trip for sure.
You can watch the weather and try launching in 5-10 mph winds from the south and see if you can manage out. With the winds you "should" be fine coming back in but if they pick up the waves from tidal movement it can get bumpy and the Ascend is not as stable as others i have seen go BTB.
I would try launching from Sea Rim and going out a couple hundred yards and back or GISP surf side and see how you do launching bare so you know if you can handle the waves in that yak and also if you can get back in if turned over or other issues you may need to be aware of.
I find my Ascend FS12T to be lower in the water and harder to maneuver in waves and definitely not as stable as a longer or wider kayak which costs more money. I would not take mine off shore unless it is close to shore like Sea Rim for Bull Reds no more than 400 yards out. I have only taken my Hobie PA14 to Sea Rim and it was a chore in rough waves out there in it. That is why I wouldn't take my Ascend off shore.
Seriously consider a better kayak to go more than 5 miles out. Just my opinon but also my experience.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Nope...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

No good for getting thru surf. If it was really calm u could do it safely maybe. But u need to stick close to shore! Just get a yak better suited for btb is my advise. Better to b safe than dead.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I have a friend that just bought one two months ago. It's wide so its going to push some water which means you are going to be in really good shape if you use it a lot. I wouldn't suggest taking it much more than a mile BTB. I was also a little concerned how low the bow set and the kayak itself as she paddled out with me on a local lake and she is a little thing. On lake or stream, no real problem other than setting lower than most. BTB the surf is going to eat your lunch and take your gear unless it's all secured, and I don't mean maybe. Ice cream conditions, still no real problem. Heck, I've used shell kayaks in flat conditions ( don't do that). If the water gets a little rough you will be wishing you were in the marsh chasing specs and flounder. The guys on here might scold me, but if you want a cheap kayak that will get you a ways offshore go get a Perception Pescador Angler 12'. I've taken mine as far as six miles offshore and it's not that hard to add a raised seat if you want one.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

^^^ I would agree with that...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk