Anyone using a solo skiff for BTB fishing?

Fishin Rob

Anyone using a solo skiff for BTB fishing?

Post by Fishin Rob »

New member but long time reader. Considering moving to a solo skiff but wondering if it can handle BTB fishing which is what I really enjoy the most. Current setup is a Hobie Mirage Oasis Tandem. About 50% of the time I go without an additional person which makes it kind of a big boat to maneuver and slightly off balance. The skiff sure seems appealing with the motor even though I have the mirage drive which makes it pretty easy. I do plenty of bay fishing as well and I'm sure both platforms are great for that. My concern is if the skiff can handle bigger waves well. I've been out in the hobie as conditions began to get rough and didn't have any problems at all getting back. I only go out when conditions are ideal, but in case the wind kicks up I don't want to be wondering if I'll make it home.

Thoughts?

PS: I do love my Hobie.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Anyone using a solo skiff for BTB fishing?

Post by Forever Fishing »

Absolutely. Love my Solo for BTB. Pretty much the same gear requirements as your yak. Normally I'll just take a trolling motor for power. Lot's of fun, very stable and comfortable. Search Vimeo for a couple of videos in HD. Forever Fishing Solo Skiff.

Good luck.
Attachments
20160919_134902.jpg