Offshore kayak advice for rookie

bacht35

Offshore kayak advice for rookie

Post by bacht35 »

Hey guys was wondering if I can get some advice on what I need to prepare myself if I do go offshore. This year I'm looking forward to going but dunno what I need or be aware of- any input would be great plus would like to tag along this summer as well to learn;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsshaver

Re: Offshore kayak advice for rookie

Post by bsshaver »

I would say go to the offshore kayak advice section and not the classifieds.........just a lil advice. :shock:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Here's a video to walk you through some of the layout. My setup has changed a little since this video was made, but it still gives you an idea of what to pack and how it can be packed for offshore:

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Rule #1- MINIMIZE (this does not pertain to safety items), everyone overloads when they start, and most end up losing a portion on their first couple of trips because they turtle with too much gear.
1- safety items
2- one or two rods
3- leaders and bait
4- snacks
Forget the coolers, gaffs, billyclubs, lights, extra floats, etc until you get your BTB legs under you. Then dicide according to what would make the next trip easier and decide where you will store it out of your way........
I'm a bad bad kitchen sink packer, but on the water I'm a minimalist because it's less weight, less cumbersome, less to find if you do turtle....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

X2 with Boomy.
Please search this forum for more safety, critical, and useful BTB information since the same topic had been in discussion many times in the past.
Plus, there were many near missed /accidents that we all need to learn from (including me).

Beside all points listed by others above.
I like to add two more critical points below:
1. Need to practice to upright your kayak and re-entry in deep water and high swells.
2. Need to have a good marine radio.

Good Luck and be safe
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Wear you PFD and lash everything down so WHEN you get dumped in the surf!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

All great advice. Don't go alone - Monitor the BTB section on TKF - Look for folks going out - Ask them if you can tag along.
Poseidon01

Post by Poseidon01 »

bacht35 wrote:Hey guys was wondering if I can get some advice on what I need to prepare myself if I do go offshore. This year I'm looking forward to going but dunno what I need or be aware of- any input would be great plus would like to tag along this summer as well to learn;

Hey, check out this BTB opportunity.... Good Luck!

((((((((((BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 11TH SUNDAY))))))))))
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

When I started out, I kept it very simple. kayak & paddle, PFD, one fishing pole, one small Plano lure box, and a Sog knife. The Sog knife is in the surf at High Island. I played around and fished just past the breakers getting a feel for the swells and the surf. The best advice has already been given. Meet up with others that are going BTB and get after it. I would also strongly suggest when the water has warmed up, take everything off your kayak and practice launching and beaching over and over until you are comfortable with it. If you launch and beach only when you are going fishing then it's going to take a lot of fishing trips under your belt before you get confident with it. :horse:
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Come to the PACK meeting tomorrow, see my post on today's date.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Great advice
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

bacht35 wrote:Hey guys was wondering if I can get some advice on what I need to prepare myself if I do go offshore. This year I'm looking forward to going but dunno what I need or be aware of- any input would be great plus would like to tag along this summer as well to learn;

I'm in the same boat as you, new to b2b. There are two trips I've been eyeing: PINS for red snapper/ kings ; high island for sharks. Want me to keep you in the loop when weather windows open up?

David