What kind of jugs and lures for the Gulf?

619-SWIM-DOG

What kind of jugs and lures for the Gulf?

Post by 619-SWIM-DOG »

I will be moving from San Diego, Ca to Corpus in July and before I start selling things. I need to figure out what I should keep for down there. I have irons, mega baits, rappala's, flat falls, etc. I know some of these I should be able to use down there either from the yak or a boat. Thanks in advance.
Tombo

Re: What kind of jugs and lures for the Gulf?

Post by Tombo »

Welcome to TKF. We have had a couple folks migrate to Texas from California. While waiting for responses, use the above Search function for your questions.
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

It all depends on what your targets species is but assuming you're targeting the normal kingfish, cobia, jacks and smacks because you're in the btb page.

I am a big fan of anything shinny lures so anything silver I would hold onto. As far as color I mostly use blue or pink but honestly haven't seen anything to say other colors don't work just as well.

The normal method I use it trolling two different rods, one with a lure and one with a ribbon fish. Rapala deep diving lures and rattletraps are my go to lures. 6" long Rapala lures seems to be a good size and the bigger the better on the rattletraps. I've also had a few days where we got into a feeding frenzy and I could have thrown anything with a hook on it and caught a fish, so just because its not the norm down here doesn't mean it wont catch fish.

Another lure to have rigged up is a heavy spoon or a butterfly jig. These are really effective at the legs of oil platforms but you will have to keep an eye on the current. Ive had my fair share of jigs break off on the legs.

I honestly don't think that the fish here are much different from the ones out in Cali so if it works out there it will most likely work down here too.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Welcome, Swim Dog!

All those lures can work, although the species list is different here. Our water is not nearly as deep as you're probably used to fishing in, but it does pay off here. We don't use the really long/heavy knife jigs in waters reachable by kayak, but anything from 2-6 ounces will work fine... although we may learn a new trick or two if you start having success with them.