I need help deciding on which Hobie.

Barnaclejam

I need help deciding on which Hobie.

Post by Barnaclejam »

I would like some opinions from those here with experience in Hobie outbacks and revolution 13 kayaks. What are your likes and dislikes about these two kayaks. Thanks for any opinions offered as I'm preparing to purchase a new kayak for my first season btb.
Tombo

Re: I need help deciding on which Hobie.

Post by Tombo »

The best way is to try them out. Should be some kayak demo days coming soon.
Think about everything. Storing, transporting, paddling/peddling, fishing or any other use.
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Here are the dates and locations
https://www.austinkayak.com/demo

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter
raruga

Post by raruga »

I had an outback for a long time and made it btb many times. Twice I got caught in 3+ swells coming in fast. One time I hooked to a bull red with washing machine conditions and it was scary but no issues with the outback. The stability of the outback is phenomenal I never had problems. Upgrade to the turbo fins and you can keep up with the revo no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Agree with raruga. The Outback is more stable than the Revo and would get my vote - especially for BTB.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Being that it is your first time to go BTB, the odds are in favor of the Outback. The Revo is a faster yak but losses some stability. However, if you were an experienced BTB kayak fisherman, that may not be of relevance. The Outback has a little less speed but has more stability. Throw on turbo fins and upgrade the rudder on the Outback, you are in business.

As mentioned on here already, it might be a great idea to go to demo days and try them both out. Another option would be to rent these two kayaks and test them out before making that purchase.
Barnaclejam

Post by Barnaclejam »

Thanks so much for the replies. I'd really like to try out both kayaks but I don't think a calm pond or bay will be very representative of the ocean. Also I don't live on the gulf but joined TKF because you have the best btb forum by far.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

You will still get the feel of each kayak even in the bay or in a pond so test 'em out.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have a Revo 13 and my wife has a Revo 11. I chose the Revo as it paddles better than the Outback. My Revo is also outfitted with larger rudder and turbo fins.
I went offshore with the Revo 11, thought it was more stable the the 13 due to is width. No problem at all.
That being said I have seen quite a few folks offshore in the Outback.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

I have a Revo13. It is fast and smooth kayak for offshore (BTB for many years) but I wish to get the outback after seeing my friend is able to stand up on his kayak offshore.
It is nice that you are able to get off your butt after 5-6 hrs sitting down, you know!
Plus the extra space for gears is nice too.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

The Outback is great to stand up in. I've had no problems. I'm 5'6" and 209 lbs. If you have never tried standing up in a kayak before, then at first it will feel weird until you get used to doing it. After that, standing up can help you in many fashions such as site casting; stretching your legs after sitting for awhile; and as gross as this can sound but is realistic, sometimes going to the bathroom; etc.
Attachments
17 Blake Standing Up on the Outback.JPG
Standing Up.PNG
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good looking kayak there Mr. Yakety_Yak! :D
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

peddle boats are not kayaks. . period) :roll:
PoolGuy

Post by PoolGuy »

Wait a few more weeks and go with the new Coosa FD! Best of both worlds!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Endo

Post by Endo »

re: Yakety_Yak

The first and only time I've gone unwillingly overboard offshore (pretty sure I jinxed myself right there) was when I felt like stretching my legs and stood up to take a leak in my Outback. LOL. Lesson learned. My Outback didn't flip though, so that was good.

I've had to jump in offshore a number of times to fix something on the yak or untangle lines from the rudder, but that doesn't count.

I will say that the large hole in the bottom of Hobies for the mirage drive is an excellent spot to pee in. So that's another advantage of them. :D

Outbacks are pretty stable, but realistically standing up in them should only be done in pretty calm water. I also don't do it anymore in deeper water. It's one thing to have to jump off due to balance and only landing in water knee deep. Its another ball of wax to have to bail out in deep water.

You might be fine 9 out of 10 times, but people tend to forget it is one thing to stand up and calmly cast from outback and its entirely different to set the hook suddenly while standing up. It doesn't take much to send you diving overboard.

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Another plus for Hobie kayaks going through the surf is they drain very fast through the Mirage Drive. I have taken Pro Anglers 12 and 14, Revo 11 and Revo 16's offshore. The 16 was a bit tippy. Never was in an improved design Outback. The original model Outback were slow to paddle. I was surprised offshore when using the Revo 11. It was short but very stable. Loaded my fish in the front hatch and it tracked better.
Ozark Gringo

Post by Ozark Gringo »

I have a Revo 13 and an Outback, and have tested out the Revo 11 and the Sport. Just for reference, I am 6'1", 185lbs, have spent a crapload of time in canoes and kayaks, and have a fair sense of balance. Here are my opinions of them:

Outback: nice and wide for stability, lots of storage, lots of rail space for storage and to mount stuff. About the same speed as a standard paddle yak. Can stand in it if conditions are calm and you're really careful, but casting/hooksetting would be a problem. I have fallen out of my Outback and been knocked off by waves, but never rolled it. This boat can have quite a bit of hull slap in choppy conditions. This boat is a workhorse, and you will see more people BTB fishing out of it than any other.

Revo 13: Narrow, but still plenty of legroom. No built in rod holders up front, and limited rail space, not a big deal but you will need to get some ram mounts. Noticeably faster than the outback, this is the fastest of the group. I tried to stand in my Revo 13, but moving your center of gravity that high can make it pretty tippy. I have definately rolled this boat, especially coming in through the surf. Hobie makes some inflatable outriggers that would pair really well with this boat and help greatly with stability, especially for beach launching BTB. I have had this boat out BTB, and it covers ground like no other, but I prefer the roominess and bulit-in rod holders of the Outback.

Revo 11: Narrow and short, very little legroom. Space more limited than the 13, less stability. Due to its short length, this boat is very maneuverable. I would not attempt to stand in the Revo 11. This boat also rode very low in the water for me. Might be good for a small person on small water, due to increased maneuverability. I rented this boat and got caught in some bad weather on otherwise calm water, and it was scary, I almost didn't make it.

Sport: This is a little bitty boat, probably meant for kids/people under 5' tall. I can't imagine many full sized adults seriously trying to use this boat for much.