Moving away: Looking for one last BTB trip

Ozark Gringo

Moving away: Looking for one last BTB trip

Post by Ozark Gringo »

Well guys, I got a new job and will be moving away from Texas pretty soon.
Before I go, I'd really love to squeeze in another BTB trip and go on one last Texas Sleigh Ride. To make this happen, I'm going to need a little help from you guys. :D The plan is to do a rig run on the uppper coast, somewhere ranging from Sabine to Matagorda, or possibly as far south as Corpus. Problem is, I normally fish these areas in summer when the pleagics are running, and I'm thinking there will likely be some different species/ alternate strategies that I should try out there this time of year.

My question for ya'all is this:
What, if anything, am I likely to encounter on a rig run this time of year and what's a good strategy to catch them?

I'm not picky, just looking for a good sleigh ride. Bull reds or black drum will do (or maybe even some nice sheepshead). It might be a longs shot,but if somebody knows where I might find a big Jack or some spanish that would be fantastic.
Like I said, I'm moving away, so I'm not likely to ruin anybody's secret spot, just looking for a bend in the rod before I go.

Tight lines,
Caleb
MustardHooks

Re: Moving away: Looking for one last BTB trip

Post by MustardHooks »

Hey Caleb, I believe we're right on the cusp of pelagics coming back in Corpus. If you can wait about 2-3 weeks they should be in pending a cold front. Otherwise your best bet would be anchoring/drifting 500 yds from the beach to catch some bull reds or shark.

Good luck with your move, a good fisherman adapts to his environment!
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Looks like the entire coast is going to be flat starting wed, might be worth a shot going btb with some cut mullet.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Good luck on the move and the last BTB trip. I am sure you will find somewhere to put the yak in the future.
God Bless
Ozark Gringo

Post by Ozark Gringo »

Thanks for the tip on pelagics, it's pretty awesome that the season is only a few weeks out... that's right around when I would be leaving so the possibility is there, but timing would be tight. This time it looks like I'm going to try my luck thursday at the Matty rig, and bring along knife jigs and some cut mullet.

I guess my original question was, that if any of you guys have rig-run experience in the winter, what species do you encounter? Supposedly the flounder are offshore somewhere this time of year, do they hang around the rigs? Should I expect spadefish? sharks?
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

snapper, sheapsheadm trout, redfish