Sigh, Here We Go Again!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Sigh, Here We Go Again!

Post by Prof. Salt »

Wes Seigler and his crew have been making the best offshore kayak reels for several years in Virginia, and when they got sued over the name "Release Reels", they were forced to change. The company became Truth Reels, and no other company had a claim to the name so everything seemed safe. Now Primos (the game call company) is threatening to sue over the Truth name... evidently they have a "The Truth" TV series that might be confused for fishing reels. :? The company and show has nothing to do with fishing, but here come the lawyers anyway. I like Primos calls, and have used them for years but this is a needless lawsuit.

Rather than fight over the name in court (they can't compete with the cash Primos has available for legal representation), Wes has reluctantly decided to rename the company again. Release became Truth and will now become Seigler reels. You can't sue over a company using the owner's name. All warranties still apply, and older reels with the previous names will still be covered as they were before, which is nice if you happen to own one or two of the earlier reels. I am not sponsored by the company at this point (but would love to be if they offered :lol: ). I do own a couple of their reels and when I broke one of them they offered to fix the reel under warranty, but I asked them to just send me the parts instead. I know my reels pretty well, so I fixed it myself after some very knowledgeable coaching over the phone. Didn't cost me a dime!

This little company makes most of their parts right in their facility and orders the rest from other American companies. The Lifetime warranty is legit, and the line of reels is expanding to include larger and smaller offshore reels and fly reels, although I'm still waiting for a spinning reel to be announced... Truth is still in the process of changing the website and updating everything, but I wanted to share the story of why they are changing names again.

And Primos? I've always been impressed with your calls but this legal challenge makes your company look petty. That's the truth.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Sigh, Here We Go Again!

Post by Mythman »

Ahhhh, corporate nitpicking! Only the lawyers win!!!

Too bad, I liked the sound of "Truth Reels". I don't own one but probably would if I didn't already have 6 of another brand. I used one for a few months when they were called "Release" and it functioned well.......in fact, very well.

As long as they function superior............what's in a name???
Puck

Post by Puck »

Do one of you guys have the web site for this company?

American made, good customer service, etc.

I'd like to support them if I can.

Puck
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Puck

Post by Puck »

Got it, and book-marked.

Thanks
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

I have an SG and love it! It's a good company so hate that they are going thru this! Again!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I have two LGs and I have nothing but good things to say about them!
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

Yakety_Yak wrote:I have two LGs and I have nothing but good things to say about them!
Agreed, best reels on the market.
Reelgame

Post by Reelgame »

Petty bs indeed. I own a red sg. Got it as a christmas gift by my father in law about 3 years ago. Good looking reel and has worked like a charm. Im partial to finnor offshore spinning reels myself. Specially when im kayaking. Cant wait til a siegler spinning reel is announced.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have an idea for a new name. Call them Generic reels so when some one asks about what reel you have, tell them its a Generic Reel! Bit of tongue in cheek reply but does not devalue the reel.
Noeafpj9

Post by Noeafpj9 »

Just ordered me a LGN a few days ago... really hope to get it on the water a lot this year...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Twice Wes Seigler made sure attorneys didn't make a killing on trademark infringement arguments.
The new name is better than the old ones, but the old ones are worth hanging onto - of course, they're all worth fishing.
If you have a Release or Truth reel, they have all the hallmarks of what makes old reels collectible and valuable - bench-made (good CNC counts) in the US, a limited number out there because of a lawsuit (e.g. the 1884 Spalding Kosmic made by JVH and quashed over trademark infringement, v. a trademark owned by Edwards and Hawes). The first part makes the reel hold its original value over time, the last part makes it increase over that.

I recently spooled up an SGN with 400 yds 30-lb braid (spooled under load, and a good hand level-wind - took awhile). At 10-1/2 oz, the light weight is a joy - finish, function all first-rate.
Probably should have taken a photo of the spool before filling it. Even the design of the spool is smart - it promotes the reel helping the level wind. The spool is designed so the line lays ever-so-slightly coned to the right side, so the reel lays an intimate level wind from right to left - you use your thumb to make a slightly quicker pass from left to right, and you end up with a perfect backlash-proof level wind, better than any machine or mechanism can lay.

and if you do happen to run across an old Spalding Kosmic, they're worth $6000.
Image(not mine, I cleaned and preserved it as a hobby business service.)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I've got two Release LG's. I love these reels!!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ain't that the Seigler, since I can't say Truth anymore.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hi Tom, yeah that was the point. Wes didn't argue with the trademark challenges, just twice changed the name.
I think his name on the reels is better, anyway.
Doesn't matter what you call it, Release, Truth, Seigler - it's a great reel - and as long as everybody knows what you're talking about.
The defunct trademarks will eventually be too valuable to fish.
For a different reason, collectors are now offering up to $350 for a Lew's BB-25-SW.
Imagereason enough for me to retire this one and replace it with a new Super Duty.
limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

I'll never buy another Primos product again, because of this. And I own a few. That is stupid and petty.

Good luck to Seigler reels. I may buy one just to make a point.