Father / Oldest daughter offshore kayak fishing

rattlesnake68

Father / Oldest daughter offshore kayak fishing

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Ok. One more and I'll stop. Some of you may remember me asking if any of you have tried kayak fishing the rigs offshore from Louisiana. Well, I decided to put together a little trip since Alexis, my oldest, wanted to catch a shark and I wanted to try for snapper at a rig. We arrived at Rutherford's Beach at 1:00am and slept in the cab until day break. We decided to launch down the beach as far as I dared drive and picked a rig offshore. I didn't realize how big the rig was which meant it was deceptively far. Three hours later we were at the rig and ready to drop lines. I didn't even get a line on the bottom before Alexis had hooked her first shark. I spent the next few hours chasing her and unhooking sharks as she went on slay ride after slay ride out and around the rig. I never boated a fish, but it was a blast helping her at every hookup. We saved one shark and headed back on our three hour kayak journey to the truck. After filleting the shark, we headed toward High Island, TX for a license, cow nose stingray, hot meal and a motel room. Following a good nights rest we went down to the beach and launched. We tried it at eight foot but got nothing. I had remembered reading reports on TKF that the sharks were at eleven foot so we headed out a little further. Eleven foot was the magic mark and that ray hadn't soaked for more than five minutes before Alexis' rod jerk hard to the side and down. Her eyes were as large as pie dishes as she looked at me with a mixture of excitement and a little fear. The little 10' kayak swung hard to the side to line up with the rod and the slay ride was on. Circle after circle he took her always heading further out into the Gulf. It took some time for her to get the shark to the yak so we could get a rope on it and head back. I learned that on the bigger sharks the further away that tail is from the hook. Funny how that works out and that shark didn't like me walking my fingers down his side trying to reach that tail, not one bit. Working together Alexis was finally able to rope the shark by the tail. We made it back to the beach to a small group of folks curious as to what we were towing. One of the women in the group said the shark wouldn't be fit to eat and that they all smelled badly. Well, she was right and it can be compared to a boys bathroom that hadn't been cleaned in awhile and I'm talking about a boy with really bad aim. But I was not one to give in easy and disappoint my daughter so back to the cleaning station we went. I discovered that the horrid smell is on the skin and in the red meat. After removing the "mud streak" the fillets had no smell at all, which meant a fine fish fry in the very near future.
Hope you all enjoy the video. https://youtu.be/mzepA_htwHo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Father / Oldest daughter offshore kayak fishing

Post by kickingback »

That is so cool! Your daughters are more adventurists than my two grown boys! That is great that she landed such a big shark. Well done!.
Really enjoy your videos. Good editing and action. Keep them coming!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

That is an awesome ride!! Matthew, hit me up next time you are down if you would like the company.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Will do Blake. I'll be down before the BWKC and hopefully for a couple of days during the tournament. I hope we can make the BWKC this year. Alexis is planning on bringing her A game. Lol.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Awesome, story and video. Funny how I asked you about stabilizers and saw this video before reading the story.

I did however think the shark in the lap was a little scary....