How to properly read swell charts

Bassboy1992

How to properly read swell charts

Post by Bassboy1992 »

Hey folks, I'm somewhat new to BTB. I know all the fishing tactics, how to flip my kayak back over, the spots to go, so on. My only hesitation is reading the swell chart, magic seaweed, and knowing WHEN to go. I've only been BTB on my kayak in Florida (a few times), when the water is like a swimming pool. So Texas beaches are kind of intimidating to me.

I'm reading the magic seaweed report for Bob Hall Pier, for today (not going today, just an example) and it says:

Primary Swell: 0.6 ft at 8 seconds
Secondary Swell: 6.5 ft at 6 seconds
Wind Swell: 0.3 ft at 5 seconds
31 MPH winds offshore

Now, obviously I wouldn't go today because there are 31 MPH winds, and that wouldn't be fun. But let's pretend the wind was at 8 MPH. .6 feet at 8 seconds seems essentially flat, to me. That would be a breeze in a kayak. Heck, I could take my bay boat out a few miles in that (right? I know nothing).

But what the heck is up with this "secondary" swell stuff? I don't want to get hit by some 6.5 foot wave, every 6 seconds. What I'm asking may be complicated to explain. In all honesty, I'm looking to go out with my boat (21.5 ft Frontier with a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke). I've only been once, out of the Port A channel, and it was rough as heck. I think maybe I read the chart wrong. This was 3 years ago.

What sort of conditions am I looking for? And what is a secondary swell? The whole "At x Seconds" thing kind of confuses me too.

Thank you,
Chase
Bassboy1992

Re: How to properly read swell charts

Post by Bassboy1992 »

I realize this is a kayak forum, but I trust y'all's opinion and advice more than most boating forums.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

http://magicseaweed.com/help/forecast-table/swell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I take a 20ft center counsole (aluminum with 90hp) boat offshore all the time out of Port A and packery channel. If the report in 3ft or under ( what's forcasted) I'll go out to about <8nm.if it's 1ft or under I'll go up to <28nm or so. But magic seaweed likes to under estimate, so basically add 1ft-2ft for what ever is forcasted, lol. Swell periods that are 5 sec< are good, under that it's gonna be choppy. And if the winds are under 20mph, they won't be to much of a problem.

You'll be completely fine in the boat you have, it'll be a lot more comfortable than my boat, lol.
Bassboy1992

Post by Bassboy1992 »

That's what I figure. I also notice that the surf/swells around Galveston are generally much MUCH smoother than around Corpus. Maybe I should just make the drive up there!
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Bassboy1992 wrote:That's what I figure. I also notice that the surf/swells around Galveston are generally much MUCH smoother than around Corpus. Maybe I should just make the drive up there!

Yeah, I've noticed that too. But I like port A and corpus Christi more since the water is clearer and gets deeper faster wit more offshore species. You'll basically just catch inshore species in Galveston, imo.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Dang, I really was hoping to hear a detailed response so I could learn myself. Living north of Conroe, I have been just driving down and looking at the beach. Can I do this or not? It would be nice to have some sort of idea what to expect so maybe it will save me a drive. My note to self if it is going to be ok is if a memeber on here states "these are the conditinos and I am going hope to see you there".
Bassboy1992

Post by Bassboy1992 »

What I normally do is: I google "Magic Seaweed *location*" and click on the link. If the winds are under 15 mph and the swells are 1-2 feet or less, I figure it's good to go.

My issue isn't generally with swells, but it's with launching and landing. So look at the surf too. For example, today in corpus it says 2-3 foot surf, and 5 foot swells with 25 mph winds. To that, I say heck no.

BUT, on Monday it says: 0-1 ft surf, .4 ft swells and 7 mph winds. That would literally be perfect, assuming there are no impending storms.

If it seems calm, then go for it. That's what I know about the charts. What confuses me is the times and all that. But I figure if it's 0-1 ft surf, and 0-1 ft swells with 7 mph winds, it'll be like a swimming pool. (I'd go Monday if you can)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Bassboy, your question about secondary swells is a good one. The primary swell or surf is the largest group of waves and swells. Frequently we have a second (secondary) group of waves and swells coming from a slightly different direction. When they arrive at different times it's no problem, but sometimes you get lucky and both waves arrive at your precise location together, and build on each other. A day of 2.5 foot surf from two directions can result in a few 4+ foot waves that you will want to avoid while launching or landing. That is exactly why lots of us sit on the sand and watch the wave patterns before launching. We are trying to time it so that we can get over the third bar between the larger waves of the set or sets.

Magic seaweed is notorious for underestimating the conditions. When they forecast 2.5 surf, it will often be 3+. Windfinder is much more accurate most of the time. Below are my go-to sources for real current conditions and forecasts, because sometimes you just need to see the surf to have a good idea of what it's like right now:

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/mus ... ss_rd_no_2

http://npadre.com/web-cams/surf-cam/

http://npadre.com/beachcam/

http://npadre.com/dunes-surfcam/
Bassboy1992

Post by Bassboy1992 »

Thank you for that. I'll start using Wind Finder as my primary chart provider. And that makes sense. Different swells at different directions. Your explanation is perfect.

Thanks,
Chase