Sunken ship near Seawolf Park

Fishtolive

Sunken ship near Seawolf Park

Post by Fishtolive »

Northwest of Seawolf park, there is a sunken cargo ship that you can see on Google map.
Is it still there?
Has anyone ever fished there before?
The location does not look very deep.
Just like to check to see if there are any fish there.
Any info are deeply appreciated,
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Sunken ship near Seawolf Park

Post by MobyYack »

http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this map includes more wrecks. also you can download google earth and use the history feature to find out if that wreck is still there
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Great map MobyYack. Thanks.

That sunken ship is still there (last time I checked). I fished there many years ago on a big charter boat. Caught sand trout and hard head.

Go to the link below to find the depth. From the chart and the contours, looks like its on the drop off and in about 11-24 ft of water.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveC ... nrnc.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Your asking about the concrete cargo ship SS Selma? Lots of info on her on the web and yes she still stands proud out in the bay it's not that shallow around her. Go to navionics Web site and check the charts. Fish hang around her all the time. Can't wade but if you have a boat or yak.
johnny a
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnny a »

I have been out to the concrete ship a few times. I have caught slot reds around her. The current can be very tricky and dangerous. Mix that with the power boaters and it is a very stressful trip. I don't recommend this trip if you are not experienced with fishing in hard current. Also I would not do this trip solo.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

I have caught trout,flounder and red-fish off the concrete ship you are referring to. Be warned though even when the weather is perfect for kayaking you will have the hazards of not only a strong current, but the waves from the ferry about every 10 minutes.I was there in my 26' center-console and had people nearly fall out of the boat when the ferry waves broadside us.
Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones »

Many years ago I fished the area just before you get to Seawolf Park. We wade fished it and it was about chest deep and caught some good fish out there! I'm not sure if this is the area your talking about but it used to be good fishing in there!