Kayak Question

hookem fast
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Kayak Question

Post by hookem fast »

Hey guys would a Ovean kayak big game prowler be a good kayak to hit BTB? The more I see the monsters you all catch the more I want to try it.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Kayak Question

Post by Prof. Salt »

The Big Game is wide and a little slow compared to some but stable and capable offshore. A friend loaned me one to paddle when my old kayak had problems, and I had no issues with it out there.
hookem fast
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by hookem fast »

That's awesome thanks. How far of a paddle off shore do most of you alps BTB trips?
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Its what i use for bay, fresh water n offshore fishing. Its like someone wise once said...wide n Stable with a high weight capacity. New models have high low seats. I ride low when its white Caping and getting through the surf then switch to high seat for comfort. Big games handle rough water well because they r so buoyant.. Eat your wheaties To go offshore. IF u get motion sickness stay close to shore. :P
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

hookem fast wrote:That's awesome thanks. How far of a paddle off shore do most of you alps BTB trips?

Your OK Big Game will make a comfy fishing platform, and the extra stability will give you confidence offshore.

You will find plenty of fish off North or South Padre Island by trolling just outside the last sandbar, or by hitting rock piles that lie 1.5+ miles from the surf (there are lots of rocks/reefs out there, but very few public spots). There is also a TPWD reef 5 miles out of the Rio Grande delta. Also, drifting just outside any of the passes can produce well.

Winter can produce super tough conditions and very short weather windows, making hypothermia is a real risk. So pick your days very carefully, fish with a buddy, and make sure your clothing and safety gear are appropriate.

Good Luck!

-Poo
Noeafpj9

Post by Noeafpj9 »

I owned and paddled a newer model big game 2 for roughly 2 years... it was a great kayak and like someone said, you can really build your confidence offshore in it... paddles out to the standpipe which is just out past bob hall pier only takes about a 30 min paddle in not so ideal conditions. Do yourself a favor and fish just past the breakers primarily trolling baits and lures to test your endurance and comfort level offshore... like that if you tire out or realize that offshore in that model kayak just might not be your thing, at least you can easily get to the shore with minimal effort. Another word of advice is as a lot of topics strongly encourage... always wear a PDF, fish with a buddy and keep a waterproof vhf on your person in case a good day turns bad...
hookem fast
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by hookem fast »

Noeafpj9 wrote:I owned and paddled a newer model big game 2 for roughly 2 years... it was a great kayak and like someone said, you can really build your confidence offshore in it... paddles out to the standpipe which is just out past bob hall pier only takes about a 30 min paddle in not so ideal conditions. Do yourself a favor and fish just past the breakers primarily trolling baits and lures to test your endurance and comfort level offshore... like that if you tire out or realize that offshore in that model kayak just might not be your thing, at least you can easily get to the shore with minimal effort. Another word of advice is as a lot of topics strongly encourage... always wear a PDF, fish with a buddy and keep a waterproof vhf on your person in case a good day turns bad...

So what do you use now? You live about 2 miles from me let me know when you guys are going out I'd love to head out there. Unless you all are sailing Hobies way off sore lol.