Kingfish rigs

Mulligan

Re: Kingfish rigs

Post by Mulligan »

Wow, Knot2Kinky wire looks like a game changer! More crap to spend my money on. Wife's not gonna like this.....
Endo

Re: Kingfish rigs

Post by Endo »

I don't want to over sell the anyone's expectations of the knot2kinky wire, so I'll qualify what I said in the prior post.

The wire will kink on you for sure, but it is very different than the straight malin wire when it does kink. The kinks that occur are much more supple and flexable due to the nature of the knot2kinky wire.

What that means is that the leader may look all kinked and slinky-like, but as long as you hook it relaxed in a ribbonfish it will flex and relax enough that it won't spin your ribbonfish while trolling. This is not absolute of course, but it is a marked difference versus malin wire. Such that even though your leader gets kinked, you can still use it effectively.

It doesn't take anymore time to tie versus doing haywire twists on malin wire. In fact, once you figure it out and get practiced, I find it a quicker leader build.

Figuring out how to tie it takes some effort and research (or someone willing to show you :) ). It does not look pretty when tied. The leader knots (both loop knots and albright) look sloppy and not tight on the NiTi wire. They look like they will unravel ... but they will hold solid. You'll just have to take that leap of faith and swallow your OCD expectations of having knots look tight and neat.