VHF radio question

Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

VHF radio question

Post by Jedi »

I'm looking at purchasing the Standard Horizon HX300 floating VHF/GPS. I almost always fish bays or marsh. Almost none of the guys I fish with use a a VHF radio, but I like the idea of being able to get weather alerts and calling for help if needed. I've heard that it is illegal to use them on land. So my question would be what is the legality of using them in the marsh. Would I only be able to use it in the bay or BTB. I figured someone in the BTB section would know since almost all of you use them. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
one_more_cast

Re: VHF radio question

Post by one_more_cast »

Weather alerts are receive only and in an emergency, you use what you have. You'll be on the water, I don't see an issue, problem might be there's no one on the other end.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Jedi, I just purchased this radio the other day. Great radio! It floats, gets NOAA radio, it's waterproof, and the range is great for BTB. It's a good radio to have when out BTB. I did a lot of research before buying my VHF radio and this is the one I went with based off all of all the information I had collected.
Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I use my two in the bay to keep contact with my buddys who are frequently new to the sport. Stick to an un used channel and have a few alternates in case you get covered over. Stay off 16 and 9 unless you are in an emergency as well as other channels that are occupied by harbor masters and large vessles etc. Know how to Mayday and hail the coasties as they do respond in the bays if needed. Also many lakes monitor narine frequencies. If you hear anyone on 69 or 67 in the BIB area it may be us.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

BTB kayakers run on channel 69............I would bet the inland bay yakers do the same.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Thanks for the info guys.