PART OF THE BTB BASICS

LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

PART OF THE BTB BASICS

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

We have lots of new enthusiastic BTB guys and gals. I for one am glad to have more and more new members enjoying the fun and the thrills of BTB.

Most all of us will fish with a gathering on the beach. That's probably one of the best things about fishing BTB. Some will go out in pairs and some go solo; to each his own. This may sound a bit remedial for some but if you are not preparing a FLOAT PLAN you may want to consider doing so.

A float plan is pretty simple; where you are going, when you are going to get there, when you expect to leave and a check in time. It helps if you leave your plan with someone that is familiar with the area. You may want to ensure that person has the Coast Guard number and county sheriff number in their phone. A check in time is on you and you are responsible for letting your contact know you are safe and clear for the trip. If you have not checked in by your agreed time then your contact will need to start making phone calls which should include the details of your plan, descriptions of you and anyone with you, your kayak, your equipment (cell phone, radios, etc)and your level of experience on the water and familiarity with the location.

If the wind ever stops blowing some weekend this year, I will be meeting with a group on the beach with my wing man but someone will still have my float plan.....just in case :wink:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: PART OF THE BTB BASICS

Post by Mythman »

I always give my wife my location to fish and I call her as soon as I am off the water.

In the past, I had my float plan given to land based kayakers (who could not or did not make the trip with me). Not only would they be waiting for my check in, but they would watch the weather on the computer and call me if a storm/s showed up. This weather watch has proved to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, many of my land based contacts have quit kayaking or moved.................I need to establish another support base for this year.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

I agree with the float plan, and will push a little more for discouraging solo BTB.

Especially if you are new to BTB. We post up too often of trips and just too much can happen with solo. I know many make the solo trips but new yakers it's not a good idea.

Safety guys. A float plan is good but that just tells people where to start looking for you. Many of the problems people get into BTB need help within 15 minutes not hours. Boats flipped, injuries, we had a heart attack in surf side a few years ago, dehydration, the list goes on and on.

First safety tool would be numbers in my book.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Mythman wrote:I always give my wife my location to fish and I call her as soon as I am off the water.

In the past, I had my float plan given to land based kayakers (who could not or did not make the trip with me). Not only would they be waiting for my check in, but they would watch the weather on the computer and call me if a storm/s showed up. This weather watch has proved to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, many of my land based contacts have quit kayaking or moved.................I need to establish another support base for this year.

Mike: I always pretty much do the same thing. Mama usually knows my general whereabouts, and generally when I will be off the water. I always shoot her a text when I am on the beach, and the general time when I will be home (that way she can have my supper ready.... :roll: ).

It is good to have a dedicated wing-man as well...............

X3 on not fishing alone....
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

chazbo wrote:I always shoot her a text when I am on the beach, and the general time when I will be home (that way she can have my supper ready.... :roll: ).
I think you have a good system worked out. With your supper ready when you get home, she can be out cleaning your gear while you eat. By the time you get through eating, she'll be ready to get on those dishes. :D
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

bigfost wrote:
chazbo wrote:I always shoot her a text when I am on the beach, and the general time when I will be home (that way she can have my supper ready.... :roll: ).
I think you have a good system worked out. With your supper ready when you get home, she can be out cleaning your gear while you eat. By the time you get through eating, she'll be ready to get on those dishes. :D

I WOULD PAY TO SEE THAT!!!!!!!!
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

If EVEN thought of that my Hobie would be cut in half and placed in the recycle bin !!! :shock:
dmanars

Post by dmanars »

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol: