104 Bull Reds caught at McFaddin today

dr.flatfish

Re: 104 Bull Reds caught at McFaddin today

Post by dr.flatfish »

At this point afew guys started heading in but I still had a couple of mullet so didn't want to let them go to wast. Then comes 21,22,and 23 and I have one mullet left but now everbody has gone in. I get a call from the beach asking what is my count (23) and they come back with instructions from Mike to go for 25. Shoot why not I'm so close, so I cut the last mullet in half and throw out the first rod and before I can get the second in the water fish on, number 24. I throw out the second rod while releasing 24 and can no sooner get it back in the water and the reel starts screaming. Well its the last one so I pull anchor and go for a ride. 25 bull reds WHAT A DAY, my personal best.
I don't know if you can tell by the pics but these reds were humungus and they would run like a freight train. Several times I thought I had a big shark on cause they would head straight out to sea pulling drag. Other times you wouldn't even know you had a fish on and start reeling in to check the bait and then realize there is a bull on. Several times i would get not fight at all all the way up to the yak But when it saw the boat it would be on .
I was one of who came straight in to the surf ,I'm just not comfortable doing it backwards. I did throw out my drift sock which helped a lot cause the surf was really rough. My hands are bloody and all cramped up but thats ok it was worth it. Oh did I tell ya'll "WOW" what an awsome day. 25 bull reds in one day and I don't think I caught that many in all of last year. You guys better get out there while its still hot.
Last edited by dr.flatfish on Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Amazing!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great job men!
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

Wow! Good job guys!
flykool25

Post by flykool25 »

awesome to see mcfaddin on fire like this . glad to see evyone got fish WTG :clap:
Plant

Post by Plant »

Did y'all get a tally on the sharks?
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

I must say that was one helluva day. Congrats to all. The "100+" title in the thread brought back some old memories.
Redman27

Post by Redman27 »

WOW!! congrats you guys! :clap: :clap: sounds like one hell of a day! i definately need to make a trip to this place!
btbrich2110

Post by btbrich2110 »

Great day and congrats to all! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Redhead Fishin

Post by Redhead Fishin »

Hell of a job. Too bad about the lost fish Mike.
Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

WOW!!! What a report! Way to go guys...
Razzorduck

Post by Razzorduck »

Great trip fellas! To bad I had to read about it at work!
See ya on the sand soon!
Justin_Smithey

Post by Justin_Smithey »

wow! Looks like you guys had a blast!
rafter

Post by rafter »

As the others have said, 3 of us launched and headed out to the "magic" 12' level or so. Dr FF the closest to shore along the mudline, Mitchell a little farther out, and I was even farther out. After about 15 minutes or so, we all three hooked up with our first Bull Reds. In the next 30 minutes both of those guys caught at least 2-3 more BR's while I got to start playing with the sharks (I ended up catching 4 sharks all day, even got the hook back on all 4). I then boated #2 BR when the rest of the "flotilla" was paddling out towards us.
Attachments
1st Bull Red of the day for me
1st Bull Red of the day for me
Next fish, affectionately named Kevin Jr.
Next fish, affectionately named Kevin Jr.
2nd BR
2nd BR
rafter

Post by rafter »

A little later, we had a new boat joining us - a little bigger than we were.
Attachments
Shrimp boat just before CG showed up
Shrimp boat just before CG showed up
rafter

Post by rafter »

A few minutes after the shrimp boat passed, I heard Mythman talking to me from just behind me. He was hooked up to something big taking him for a ride. After changing directions countless times, he was off heading west towards Galveston. Unfortunately, the fish broke off before he could see what it was (thought it was a larger shark).
Attachments
P1000533.JPG
P1000534.JPG
MM fighting fish with Shrimp boat in the background heading west
MM fighting fish with Shrimp boat in the background heading west
rafter

Post by rafter »

A while later, Bryan hooked up with his first BR caught in a kayak. Not a good photo, but Topout got a couple of great photos of this.
Attachments
P1000542.JPG
rafter

Post by rafter »

Shortly after that, Bryan and Bryan (Topout) moved into the mudline just east of the group and we all settled into fishing. Most of the time, someone was hooking up, but there were a few slow times. I took lots of BR pics, but they all look the same sitting in your lap or across your feet, so I won't bore you guys with these. I got stuck on 7 BR's and I was hoping for 10 so I moved out to try some deeper water at 14' or so. After sitting for 30 mins, I moved back in close to the mudline - about the same time Wolfman moved. The action definitely picked up as we both had run after run - caught my last 8 BR in just over 2 hours trashing a cheap Okuma rod in the process before heading in. All in all, it was an awesome day of fishing - 15 bull reds, 4 sharks, and too many gaftop caught by me. It was cool sitting there hearing Mitchell behind me going WWoooooo every 15 minutes or so with a fish on.
Attachments
#15 bull red on my last chewed up piece of bait
#15 bull red on my last chewed up piece of bait
TX_Z71

Post by TX_Z71 »

Awesome!
daviddanieldan

Post by daviddanieldan »

How am I supposed to study for my physics final now????
Great report and great job!
Fishin is Fun

Post by Fishin is Fun »

I have been lurking and reading all these reports. And it looked like you guys had a blast. I want to try this BTB out some time. If you are willing to take on a newbie BTB please let me know next time you guys go and I would love to join ya'll. I have a "Wilderness System Ride 135" hopefully it will make it out there.
Fishin is Fun

Post by Fishin is Fun »

I have been lurking and reading all these reports. And it looked like you guys had a blast. I want to try this BTB out some time. If you are willing to take on a newbie BTB please let me know next time you guys go and I would love to join ya'll. I have a "Wilderness System Ride 135" hopefully it will make it out there.
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

Fishin is Fun wrote:I have been lurking and reading all these reports. And it looked like you guys had a blast. I want to try this BTB out some time. If you are willing to take on a newbie BTB please let me know next time you guys go and I would love to join ya'll. I have a "Wilderness System Ride 135" hopefully it will make it out there.
No problem FiF, first read the essentials for BTB link so that you are prepared then watch the board when the old salts post up. We are always giving out an open invite for newbies to join in. This is the way most of us got started. You will get good on site information plus you have the numbers there to assist if needed. See ya on the water.
Matyyaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matyyaker »

Wow.... a bull red marathon ! I've never seen so many reds in one post. Congrats... :clap: :clap: