surfside jetties and buii, strike out

raruga

surfside jetties and buii, strike out

Post by raruga »

met up yesterday with addictedtofishing, oceankayak, chrismunnn and a few other very cool guys. But only to find that the weather forecasts were wrong again. the wind had shifted sometime friday night and we found the water with 3-4' swells coming in 2-4 seconds apart with the occasional white cap as well. we made it to the first buii pass the surfside jetties but the water was merky and the only thing that we managed was sharks. all caught by addictedtofishing as the rest of us decided to head in after about an hour of dealing with the washing machine conditions in the water.
positive outlook on the trip = met some very cool guys, oceankayak and his buddy Kevin were ready to let some of us borrow some light tackle lures to go chase trout and such into the canal and bay.

I guess I will have to watch the posts and take a vacation day during the week if I ever want to fish the ideal conditions as they never happen during the week.
chrismunn

Re: surfside jetties and buii, strike out

Post by chrismunn »

it was good meeting y'all fellas, thanks for letting me tag along!

so this is the third trip i've made BTB, but this is the only time i've actually been able to make it off shore. the other two times i couldnt get out of the surf zone... paddeling out was pretty fun because the swells were big and it was like being on an amusement ride. this lead me to find out that I GET SEA SICK!

yes, i left home at 4am, drove 200 miles, finally made it off shore and then had to turn around immideatly after arriving at the bouy. i didnt even have time to drop anchor (which i didnt have enough rope to do)... i left the group and paddeld back to shore making it to the bathroom just in time to spare myself the disgrace of taking a dump all over myself! :lol:

after that i broke out the light tackle and threw plastics in the channel for trout untill the rest of the group came back in. they wanted to hit the calm water for trout so i followed them toward the ICW. apperently, once you get sea sick, it never goes away! i made it a little ways in and even the light chop got me going again and i had to pull it over and beach myself for a bit. after sitting around for a while casting from the bank i followed ramone and lewis back to the cove and packed up the yak. i was still feeling pretty crappy so i threw a few baits into my pocket, grabbed a rod and walked the jetty looking for trout and poon.

about 3/4 of the way down the jetty there were guys catching black tips to 5' and smacks off the gulf side and other guys catching specks on the channel side. i threw on the gulp shrimp and had it get bitten in half so i switched to a sand eel jr and had no action.

the gulf side of the north jetty was nice clear green water and when i walked to the end i could see that the brown water was pushed way up in front of the bouys and the bouys were now in green water. that was at 4pm. at 10am or whenever it was that we were out there the bouy was in dirty brown water. at 4pm the channel side of the jetty was still chocolate milk. i imagine it probably stays that way most of the time???

http://youtu.be/GsyqpGV_8xY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

by the way, does anybody here use dramamine? im gonna have to do something about my motion sickness if i wanna keep getting out, but some of these side effects dont seem like they would be a good thing to experience while dealing with moving boats, toothy fish and sharp hooks....?

What side effects can this medication cause?

Dimenhydrinate may cause side effects. Talk to your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

drowsiness

excitement or hyperactivity (especially in children)

headache

new or worsening dizziness

blurred vision

ringing in the ears

dry mouth, nose, or throat

problems with coordination

fainting

dizziness

nausea

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience the following symptom, call your doctor immediately:

fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat

Dimenhydrinate may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
addicted2fishing

Post by addicted2fishing »

The only way to cure yourself from sea sickness is to jump in the water swim around,get salt in your mouth when you are sea sick,(closer to shore in a safe manner that is)even if you have to chum the fish while doing it.Keep your life jacket on,and have a friend wacth you.It tricks the brain some how and cure the sea sickness.Kinda like people who jump outta air planes to over come there fear of heights,same motion sickness feeling.After there third or fourth jump the fear goes away,so does the sickness feelings.Keep repeating this recommendation untill your sea sickness feelings go away.I've been around alot of people that get sea sick,and it can be cured.The more often time you spend on the water the quicker it gets cured.
Last edited by addicted2fishing on Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
addicted2fishing

raruga wrote:met up yesterday with addictedtofishing, oceankayak, chrismunnn and a few other very cool guys. But only to find that the weather forecasts were wrong again. the wind had shifted sometime friday night and we found the water with 3-4' swells coming in 2-4 seconds apart with the occasional white cap as well. we made it to the first buii pass the surfside jetties but the water was merky and the only thing that we managed was sharks. all caught by addictedtofishing as the rest of us decided to head in after about an hour of dealing with the washing machine conditions in the water.
positive outlook on the trip = met some very cool guys, oceankayak and his buddy Kevin were ready to let some of us borrow some light tackle lures to go chase trout and such into the canal and bay.

I guess I will have to watch the posts and take a vacation day during the week if I ever want to fish the ideal conditions as they never happen during the week.

The rig is so close I can almost reach out and touch it.Next time my friends,next time.The fish will be there hungry and waiting for us.
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

It was nice meeting all you guys out there. I was dead tired when I came in, I was going to go back out today, but I didnt, i need the rest :) 8)
master angler

Post by master angler »

Until next time we should all get together and meet up again. The big kings should be getting closer in and we will strike out. Me and Kevin left and went to drum bay and Kevin caught a 6.8 pound flounder on gulp shrimp at the boat ramp and we left around 7. Untill next time good luck and see you all soon thanks ocean kayak
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

chrismunn wrote:by the way, does anybody here use dramamine? im gonna have to do something about my motion sickness if i wanna keep getting out, but some of these side effects dont seem like they would be a good thing to experience while dealing with moving boats, toothy fish and sharp hooks....?
I take one pill every time I go BTB, unless it's ice cream. I don't notice any side effects while I'm on the water. Once you get off the water though, you may notice blood in your urine or get runny stools (just kidding). I only had problems when I took the recommended dose (two tablets). If I take just one I experience no bad side effects AND I don't get motion sick. :D

You can get the store brand in a 100 tablet bottle for around $3 at HEB. It works just like the more expensive version.
johnny a
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnny a »

If youh are concerned with the possible side affects of motion sickness pills take one at home to see what type of affects you will get from them. Me personally I take the less drowsy dramimine. I take one the night before when I go to bed then I take one an hour before I get to the beach and if the conditions are bad I take one 20 minutes or so before I hit the water. Sea sickness is one of the worst feelings and a real lowsy way to cut your trip short.
addicted2fishing

By the way that little dot right in the middle on the last pictures of the jetty taken by Chris,was the red buoy we paddle out to.Thats pretty far out and yet the water was off color.
ACADEMY SPECIAL

Post by ACADEMY SPECIAL »

hey guys thanks for letting me tag along had fun. Next time you will not be able to reckonize the little green yak they call pelican. chris i have always used a hot coke and ginger and keep your eyes on the horizon. and the flauder that i caught was a hog would have taken a pic but to dark. until next time have fun i live in kingwood if any one wants to hit up freshwater i am down with that to
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

im trying it all next time, dramamine, hot coke, ginger root, the night before patches, liquid behind the ears, swimming in the stuff, everything! being sea sick sucks, i just wanted to get on some fish!
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

When I was younger we took dramamine before heading out to Freeport for some Capt Elliot Party boat action. Out of four or five times we went out I only got seasick once, and that was with dramamine. (15ft waves can do it no matter what)

Usually, eating or chewing something keeps it from surfacing but haven't been offshore since 2001 due to the hurricane taking out our sloop.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

i picked up some dramamine after work yesterday and took the recomended 2 pill dose at 6:45 pm while i was eating dinner. mid-way through dinner i started feeling a little drowsy, and that thre last memory i have... i woke up at around 12:30 in the morning laying on the couch with all my cloths on, river monsters was on tv and my dog was sleeping on my chest. somehow my dog managed to activate the voice command function on my iphone using her anus, and something jeremy wade was saying made the phone dial phu in the middle of the night! :lol: sorry phu, i hope i didnt wake you up? you sounded like you were ready to go fishing anyways!

i might have to find an alternative to dramamine, or just keep taking loads of it untill ive grown a tolerance for the side effects???
Onelgbass

Post by Onelgbass »

I believe my doctor told me once to take benadryl. It is in the same family as Dramamine. But being that I have not been btb. Well you know. Might be worth a shot though.