California BTB

-joerocket-

California BTB

Post by -joerocket- »

I haven't been on here in over a year due to leaving for the Marine Corps, but I finally got my kayak out here to San Clemente, CA. Took it out yesterday and now realize that the Gulf is MUCH easier than the Pacific. There was a surf warning due to huge swells and waves breaking at up to 10'. I made it 50 feet from the beach, then got rolled and pushed into the sand. EPIC FAIL! I'll have to wait till the water calms down next weekend, but I'm excited to get out and fish for halibut and tuna. I know this is a Texan forum, but I started fishing in Galveston and thought I'd start following this community again and looking forward to coming home someday.
Jay61
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: California BTB

Post by Jay61 »

I'm suprised you even attempted! Stay safe and post up some pics if you make it out.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Semper Fi Bro........... Just curious......how do you keep a yak in your footlocker???

Good luck to ya.....your going to have to watch, and pick your days it sound like........
whatwake
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whatwake »

Semper Fi! Looking forward to your stories.
GlennO

Post by GlennO »

Jarheads in the plastic navy... lol... God Bless You! and if I was in Cali I'd try to get with some of the guys from http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've been reading their journals... wow... they've got great stories of monster white sea bass, ling cod, and a ton of other fish I've only seen on tv or a menu... post up when you get out and wet a line in the big ole Pacific...
Bjunde

Post by Bjunde »

Moved to TX from SoCal... although I just started Kayak fishing... its a short trip from Camp P to La Jolla... which is a GREAT spot... or Dana Pt Harbor, which will be a little easier than trying to paddle out from the beach!

Have Fun, and thanks for your service!
-joerocket-

Post by -joerocket- »

Ha ha didn't realize there were so many devildogs out there. I live off base so no footlocker, but the kayak still doesn't fit in my apartment (it's still sitting on my truck). I stopped by the beach on the way home from work and the waves are still too much, so I think I'm going to try fishing Dana Point Harbor for Halibut this weekend. I'll definately take the camera for that one. By the way, California does not give discounts on fishing licenses for military service members. Amazing, I get free hunting and fishing privileges for life in Texas. Hope everyone at home is doing well, and avoiding the oil. :cry: