TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

jnd1959 wrote:Well, it looks like we will be leaving on the 4th. Won't be able make it down the next weekend so please scratch us from the list. That's the third year in a row I've missed this get together. Drat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have taken you off of the list. If something changes, let me know. BTW.... keep tabs on this thread. If weather/conditions are bad, we will be going to the backup date and maybe that date might work out for you better. Stay tuned for details as it gets closer. :)
tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:
APynckel wrote:Might not be able to make it, because poverty. :|

you can ride with . even share the beer.

Thank you for the kind offer. I don't know if at this time I can even afford the time away. I might be having to move out of my apt some time in June. Life is taking a real hard look at the gutter right now. Hell, I might have to sell the kayak before this even happens.
Please add my son and I as maybes.

We are green as green gets. We have been planning our first surf fishing trip to PINS on Jun. 9-11. Then just last week we bought two 12ft kayaks and found this forum. Neither one of us have ever kayaked before. Going BTB sounds very exciting. However, do you guys think it would be wise for us to make this or first trip? We are up for the challenge if ya'll don't think we are being too crazy.

I could also used some input on PFDs and VHF Radios. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry if this becomes duplicate. I think my first post was deleted.

Please add my son and I as maybes

We are extremely green. We are planning our first surf fishing trip to PINS on June 9-11. We recently purchased two twelve foot kayaks and are very excited about fishing BTB. If you guys think this is a event we should try, count us in. If not we will go get some practice and try again later.

I would also like some info on PFDs and VHF radios.We appreciate all advise, thanks.
kickingback wrote::dance: Will you take a look at the forecasted weather for Friday?!?! Oh yeah!! I can see the weekend to be a good one for everyone!
So excited!

My thoughts exactly, I watched the weather and thought let it rain all week if need be and next weekend is looking perfect. !!!! Oh,,, is it Friday yet?
JBM wrote:Please add my son and I as maybes.

We are green as green gets. We have been planning our first surf fishing trip to PINS on Jun. 9-11. Then just last week we bought two 12ft kayaks and found this forum. Neither one of us have ever kayaked before. Going BTB sounds very exciting. However, do you guys think it would be wise for us to make this or first trip? We are up for the challenge if ya'll don't think we are being too crazy.

I could also used some input on PFDs and VHF Radios. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've added you and your son to the list. Welcome!

In regards to PFDs, the most frequent ones many usually use is the NRS Chinook and the Stohlquist, both sold at Austin Canoe & Kayak. Both have the high back so that you sit comfortably in the kayak seat and also have pockets so that you can store useful items if you prefer. The Stohlquist has the pockets that when you unzip and open them, the outer part opens and becomes a tray. I don't particularly have a use for this feature but there are some that do. The pockets are more valuable to me in general. There are other brands out there so my suggestion would be to head to ACK, talk to a rep, try on these PFDs, and see which one suits you more.

In regards to VHF radios. The three most common quality brands that are mentioned on TKF through the years over and over again are: ICOM, Uniden, and Standard Horizon. Be careful if you do end up buying a Cobra (usually sold at Academy). The way I would describe this brand is you get what you pay for. Many times when you find a good price (but not always) on the Cobra you are sacrificing something that you need but don't realize until later when you need it. There are five things I would recommend utilizing when locating a good quality VHF radio.

1. the radio floats
2. the radio is water proof
3. good radius
4. make sure it has NOAA weather radio
5. excellent battery life (this can also be determined on how much you use the radio while out on the water)

I hope you find this information useful. Tight lines! :)
Ryanh1801 wrote:So for some reason when I first read this I saw July. I am headed down to mustang island state park this thur-sunday. So you can put me down as a yes. :dance:

I've got ya added. Welcome to the addiction! :)

kickingback wrote:I just got an email about this Might change to Saturday? Why is it not posted in here?

Charlie, you beat me to it. I was about to make a post when you posted this, lol. For everyone that is going on this trip..... please read my initial post at the very very top. All updates will be posted there in reference to anything new. I would explain on this post but it would be redundant. Check the opening post out on page one at the top and all will be explained. :D
Also anyone that wants to fish Friday and sat am send me a Pm looking to make the most of my trip down there and looks like those days are the best with surf conditions right now.

Another thing I have 4 king fish rigs and 6 steel leads is that enough for 3 days of fishing or should I stock up? Really want to land my first king. Have a Truth reel with a tiger rod ridged up.

random attractors often catch fish - there is no l[…]

spamming as opposed to that? The OP was strangel[…]

I don't tie flies and this interests me...hope I c[…]

Big Guy kayak

Are you a beginner looking for a beginner kayak […]